Senior Data Engineer
Afresh Technologies · San Francisco, CAEngineering Food & Agriculture Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
At Afresh, we’re solving the big problems around food waste and the fresh food supply chain--focusing first in grocery. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. The results are powerful: in live deployments in grocery stores, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+!
What will you be doing?
- Building fast and reliable data pipelines that enable training machine learning models over billions of historical data points collected from tens of thousands of retail stores across the US.
- Integrating with our customers’ infrastructure, which includes a variety of contemporary and legacy IT systems. Setting up data feeds from the customers’ systems.
- Maintaining transactional, analytic, and NoSQL databases and data lakes over terabytes of data.
- Collaborating with an interdisciplinary team of experts in machine learning, data scientists, design, software engineering, and business process optimization
What skills and experience do you need?
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent.2+ years of work experience.
- Strong programming and problem-solving skills.
- Expert-level knowledge of databases, data lakes, data pipelines, SQL. Experience with big data frameworks such as Apache Spark is a big plus.
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and other cloud providers.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and/or devops expertise are a plus. Experience with data visualization is a plus.
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the nuances of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in Fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, the results are awesome! Like we said above, in live deployments, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with 4 large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).
Interested? Email us at Careers@afreshtechnologies.com