Senior Backend Software Engineer
FreeWill · New York, NYEngineering Health & Well-Being Human Rights & Equality Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
FreeWill is a social venture whose mission is to help people use their estate plans to do tremendous good for the people and causes they love.
We create high-quality, intuitive online tools that help people across the country prepare essential end-of-life documents, all at no cost to the consumer. In this way, we increase access to law for the 70% of Americans who have not started important end-of-life planning. At the same time, our tools make philanthropic giving through estate plans extremely easy, with people giving 6x more when using our tools.
We work directly with high-impact nonprofit organizations to dramatically improve their development efforts—our long-term goal is to raise $1 trillion in charitable giving.
We have an amazing team, and we’d love to have you join it.
We are looking for an ambitious backend-end engineer who wants to make impact at a mission-driven company. This role will take on a high level of responsibility across a many projects.
This role reports to our VP of Engineering, Alden Quimby, and is based in New York City. Competitive comp & equity. Flexible start date. Unfortunately, we can’t sponsor H1Bs or have remote employees at this time.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Own the design and development of new features for the FreeWill web application
- Work on a modern stack, including Node.js, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, and AWS
- Interact closely with a diverse team across legal, growth, design, and product
- Mentor junior engineers and share knowledge through code reviews, pair programming, 1-1 conversations, and broader team trainings
- Contribute ideas to improve our product, technology, and team practices
- Gain knowledge of end-of-life planning and nonprofit fundraising – what currently is working, what is not, and what tech can do to help fix it
- 5+ years building production back-end systems for complex web applications
- Proficient in API design and SQL
- Experience with Node.js, TypeScript, or PDFs are a plus
- CS degree (undergrad, masters, or PhD)
Other Important Traits
- Intense curiosity
- Scrappiness and grit
- Foresight about how technical decisions today will impact the business and the product in the future and at scale
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If interested, please contact Alaina Hendershot at email@example.com with your resumé and any applicable materials or experience (eg: website, github, portfolio, etc.)