Senior Backend Engineer
Edquity · Brooklyn, NY/RemoteEngineering Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Education Posted 4 weeks ago Claim this company
Edquity is a technology-enabled, anti-poverty company based in Brooklyn, NY that helps colleges improve students’ basic needs and financial security by increasing access to emergency resources and funding. To help students, including the 3 million who drop out every year due to a time sensitive financial crisis, Edquity provides partner colleges with a white-labeled mobile app and web platform that helps students overcome financial emergencies. With Edquity, students can apply for emergency cash grants, discover emergency resources, receive personalized financial management, and more.
In the wake of COVID-19, students need Edquity more than ever, and Edquity is quickly scaling to ensure it can support millions of students during this terrible crisis.
Read more about Edquity’s recent $2.4M seed round in EdSurge.
Backend Engineer Job Overview:
We're seeking an experienced developer who is passionate about financial capability, equity in higher education, college graduation for low and middle-income students, and social mobility generally. This role will be primarily responsible for refactoring code to provide for rapid scaling of our suite of products, including our emergency aid distribution platform as well as our internal customer success and customer facing administrator dashboards, and architecting new features for these products. You will work closely with our CTO and Lead Engineer, our product manager, and other developers on the team.
What You Will Do:
Work on a team of developers to accomplish collective goals set every sprint, pairing with other developers often to achieve maximum code quality Build our products out further by improving performance of our codebase and handling scaling issues to accommodate user growth Create new products and features to match business needs such as machine learning, microservice architecture, and financial integrations Maintain our current product and continue our effort to keep technical debt to a minimum Write tests for your code to ensure code stability
What You Should Have:
- A strong belief in equity and a desire to reduce structural inequality
- Experience working in AWS (Such as Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Redis, Lambdas)
- Git: Professional experience with version control
- REST: Experience working with REST API's
- SQL: Experience building data models and writing complex SQL queries
- Experience testing backend code
- Experience building and maintaining web apps in production
- A passion for web and app development with a strong desire to learn
- A strong work ethic: ability to be self motivated and take ownership over tasks
We Hope You Have:
- A passion for startups, working with small teams, and scaling them
- Experience in developing algorithms
- Experience working in microservices or breaking up a monolithic API into microservices
- Experience working with large datasets and have the ability to manipulate them to achieve business needs
- Knowledge in other programming languages (Golang, C#, etc)
- 15 days of PTO per year
- 10 paid company holidays
- Health insurance (Medical/Vision/Dental)
- Equity in Edquity negotiable
- 401k matching