Swiftly · Remote/San Francisco, CAEngineering Environment Posted 2 weeks ago
We are a mission-driven startup working to help cities move more efficiently. Be it from a desire to improve public transit, urban mobility, sustainability, or simply from a desire to work on hard problems that impact the real world–we care deeply about our work. Our software generates real-time predictions for transit riders, and our feeds are consumed by 3rd party applications like Google Maps, Transit App, physical signs, and more. We've also built a data analytics platform with intuitive visualizations that help drive smarter decisions for more than 5,500 transit professionals around the globe. Your work will make a difference for transit riders in more than 90 cities and 6 countries–representing over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Swiftly's office is located in San Francisco, CA. We are open to local or remote hires for this role.
About the Role
You will work on improving the software platform underpinning Swfitly’s products. Part of your time will be spent embedded in one of our product teams with the remainder of your time spent working on shared platforms that support all our teams. Your work will help us improve how we deploy the platform that ingests real-time transit data (especially push feeds from IoT devices), meet a 99.9% uptime SLA, and expand to more cities around the globe. Your work will impact all of Swiftly's product lines–Transitime real-time passenger information, Metronome real-time vehicle operations, and Insights historical data analytics–and it will solve real problems for transit agencies resulting in improved transit reliability.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we'd love to talk to you.
- Help foster a DevOps culture by building platforms that enable developers to build, deploy, and manage their own microservices and CI/CD pipelines
- Own and improve shared cloud infrastructure such as load balancers, container clusters, job schedulers, and networks
- Write terraform, ansible, serverless, or other scripts to automate infrastructure provisioning
- Provide visibility into operation of our systems by providing metrics, hooking up alerts, and building dashboards
- Deploy Swiftly’s products in new cloud regions
- Launch tools and services that improve Swiftly’s platform security
- Be on-call for system outages
- 3+ years of experience in a software development or platform engineering role
- Experience with one of the major cloud platforms – AWS, GCP, Azure – and have built software using cloud services
- Experience building and/or managing CI/CD pipelines
- Experience automating and managing deployments of cloud infrastructure, using tools such as docker, terraform, or ansible
- Experience building secure cloud networks (e.g. configuring Amazon VPC, subnets/routes, ALBs, security groups, etc.)
- An AWS associate, professional, or specialty certification is a plus
- Multi-region cloud experience is a plus
- Experience deploying security scanning, intrusion detection, or other related security software is a plus (we will provide training if you do not have this experience)
You’ll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do.
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time.
- You love solving problems that enable your peers to build, test, deploy, and manage cloud services.
- You’ve worked on a team (or want to work on a team) that builds software that can be understood and extended by your teammates.
- You’ve excited to work on both features within a team’s project and on more self-directed projects that impact the broader team.
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow.
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. We aim to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.