Swiftly · Remote/San Francisco, CAEngineering Environment Posted 2 weeks ago Claim this company
We are a mission-driven startup working to help cities move more efficiently. Be it from a desire to improve public transit, urban mobility, sustainability, or simply from a desire to work on hard problems that impact the real world–we care deeply about our work. Our software generates real-time predictions for transit riders, and our feeds are consumed by 3rd party applications like Google Maps, Transit App, physical signs, and more. We've also built a data analytics platform with intuitive visualizations that help drive smarter decisions for more than 5,500 transit professionals around the globe. Your work will make a difference for transit riders in more than 90 cities and 6 countries–representing over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Swiftly's office is located in San Francisco, CA. We are open to local or remote hires for this role.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager, you will play a pivotal role in scaling our rapidly growing Engineering team. Initially, you will manage 1-2 direct reports and this number will grow over time. Working closely with the Head of Engineering, you will drive several key initiatives: identifying gaps in our teams, defining job descriptions for roles to fill them, and owning hiring processes to find top engineering talent and build a diverse and inclusive team. You will have the opportunity to make a big impact on the culture and composition of our engineering team.
To support you in deeply understanding our users, products, and engineers, you will also have individual contributor responsibilities on one of our product teams. We will match you with a product area–one of Transitime real-time passenger information, Metronome real-time vehicle operations, and Insights historical data analytics–that has a tech stack and projects best matching your experience. Building software as an IC will help you understand pain points in our software development and delivery processes and build trust with engineers on the team. As your report count grows, we expect your IC time will decrease commensurately. Ultimately, your work as both manager and IC will solve real problems for transit agencies resulting in improved transit reliability.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, then we'd love to talk!
- Support strong goal-setting among your reports, provide mentorship, and help your engineers grow in their careers and grow into new roles at Swiftly as the company scales
- Identify impediments to success based on your observations and feedback from your direct reports, and advocate for change to engineering systems and processes to create a high-functioning team
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by retainment and eNPS scores
- Drive interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new engineers in collaboration with Swiftly’s Recruitment Manager
- Be hands-on as an individual contributor in at least one area of the codebase
- Embody software best practices in your work and proliferate them through mentoring and code reviews
- 6+ years of combined experience in software engineering as an individual contributor (IC) and engineering manager
- Have previously managed at least 1 direct report
- Experience interviewing and being part of a hiring process for engineering roles
- Can give specific feedback in how to design code to be extensible, well-tested, and observable
- Have demonstrable experience delivering software projects incrementally
- Experience working in a cross-functional team environment that values product and design
- Experience designing cloud-based systems or data-intensive applications is a plus
You’ll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do.
- You want to join as a manager of a small, dynamic team with an opportunity to scale it up with the company.
- You seek to understand and empathize with your direct reports — understanding in-work and out-of-work stressors — to help each report achieve their full potential.
- You are comfortable managing engineers who are on separate cross-functional teams organized around product areas.
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time.
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow.
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.