Data Analyst Manager
Center for Policing Equity · DC or NY preferred (remote for the right candidate)Data + Analytics Partners & Advocates Human Rights & Equality Posted 4 days ago
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled Data Analyst Manager with a passion for social justice. The Data Analyst Manager will lead a team of quantitative analysts in CPE's Data Driven Interventions (DDI) program, with the collective goal of producing reports for a quickly-growing roster of police departments that have contributed their data to the National Justice Database (NJD).
The NJD is the first and largest standardized database on police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, calls for service). The technical reports provided to departments include analyses and data-driven recommendations, with the ultimate goal of reducing racially burdensome policing and empowering police departments to improve relationships with the communities they serve.
The Data Analyst Manager will report to the Data Science Manager and collaborate with them to ensure that the NJD analytic plan is methodologically robust and responsive to the needs of police departments and the communities they serve. The Manager will also be the point person for the analyst team, helping to resolve questions about data clarity, overseeing analytic decision-making, and identifying and addressing analytic challenges and priorities. The successful candidate will be able to draw on deep experience exercising good judgment in executing applied social science research and will need to bring a creative mindset, detail-oriented focus, strategic acumen and strong leadership capacity in their oversight of the Data Analysts.
- Supervise and provide strategic direction to the team of Data Analysts who drive the work of CPE's DDI program, including prioritization of projects and delegation of work efforts
- Coordinate with the Data Science Manager on ongoing report production and methodological innovation to adapt our analyses to address the unique needs of NJD police departments and their data
- Oversee production of compelling data visualizations, the execution of complex statistical analyses, and the interpretation of results
- Serve as a source of subject matter expertise for Data Analysts' day-to-day methodological decision-making and assist in crafting future iterations of report analysis plans
- Provide oversight of professional development to the DDI Data Analyst team, including management of onboarding and training, mentorship, and performance management
- Master's or Doctoral degree in Social Science, Statistics, or related field
- Academic training in social science statistical methodology and practical experience in applied research.
- 3-5+ years of experience supervising data analyst or research staff
- Proficient in performance management
- Provide regular, constructive, actionable feedback to direct reports
- Monitor and track employee performance via weekly check-ins, quarterly check-ins, and biannual reviews
- Proficient in mindful delegation and capacity to assign work while clearly articulating deliverable expectations
- Provide professional development guidance and mentorship to unlock talents and potential of direct reports
- Demonstrate an appreciation for the management function and participate in management development in an ongoing way
- Expertise in criminal justice / public safety, public health, or other areas of applied social research that may illuminate racial disparity
- Experience in performing multiple regression and multilevel (hierarchical) modeling
- Working knowledge of Git
- Proficient in R
- Familiarity with RStudio and ability to produce markdown notebooks with RMD/Knitr
- Familiarity with cleaning and merging administrative data
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Comfort with collaboration across a geographically distributed team
Additional Qualifications (Preferred)
- Familiar with relational (SQL) databases and able to construct complex queries
- Experience working with geographic data (GIS shapefiles)
- Experience using cloud computing platforms (such as AWS) to perform data analysis