DevOps Engineering Manager
CommonBond · New York, NY/RemoteEngineering Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Education Posted 1 month ago
CommonBond is building a values-driven, customer-centric financial services company. Our mission is to change the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates, a state-of-the art technology platform, and caring customer service. We also are the only financial services company with a 1-for-1 social program; for every loan funded, we fund the education of a child in the developing world. CommonBond has been named to the World's 50 Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, the 50 Best Places to Work by Inc., and the Forbes Fintech 50. We are backed by great investors, have an awesome team, and are looking for our next great team member.
As the DevOps Engineering Manager, you will build and lead a team that covers project work, site reliability engineering, development tools, release management, and overall performance. In your role, you will proactively contribute to solutions that diminish operational issues, help application developers build highly scalable applications, and architect infrastructure as code to gain efficiencies and increase productivity across all CommonBond initiatives. You will own the project roadmap for your team and balance operational support and regular releases with ongoing project work.
Creating a robust tech-powered organization is essential to our success and we are looking for someone who will help design, build and maintain the infrastructure foundation that supports our multiple business lines. Our production environment includes Kubernetes running on AWS virtual private cloud technology. We are actively migrating to a microservices based architecture.
Our ideal candidate is deeply passionate about continuing to learn, helping grow and mentor other engineers, creatively solving problems, and understands that through well-executed DevOps practices, the entire product and engineering team will become that much stronger.
- Recruit, build, and lead a team of DevOps engineers, balanced between application support, release management, and project work
- Maintain responsibility for system administration of containerized, virtual environments and development services in a cloud-based environment
- Build and maintain development and production infrastructure to support continued product growth using Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS and associated technologies
- Effectively manage PostgeSQL databases including maintenance and configuration of system security admin controls
- Manage operating production environment Kubernetes clusters and containerized microservices
- Contribute to pertinent ad hoc projects including debugging code within React, Enterprise Java (including - Spring Boot and DropWizard) , Golang, and Python
- Help migrate to a best practices event-driven microservices architecture
- Participate in an on-call rotation
Job Qualifications / Experience Requirements:
- 6+ years of relevant experience as a DevOps engineer
- 2+ years in a lead/management position, running systems in a large-scale AWS environment
- 3-5 years of experience working within a modern web-based environment
- 1-3 years of experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Deep knowledge of the Kubernetes ecosystem and experience creating and troubleshooting Kubernetes workloads.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Bash and Python
- Exposure to Postgres and Linux System administration
- Experience with Java, Python, Redis, Golang, NATS.
- Proficiency in building pipelines using a CI/CD tool such as Gitlab.
- Experience with GitOps tools such as ArgoCD and Flux
- Working knowledge of cloud administration, networking, storage, and instance management.
- Understanding of security controls and configurations for SOC2 compliance.
You can work in our New York City HQ; or remotely from anywhere in the US (as long as you work east coast hours). As a heads up, due to the on-going pandemic of COVID-19, if you choose to work from our NYC HQ, it is likely that you’ll start working remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.