Software Engineer Instructor
Per Scholas · Remote (US)Other Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Education Posted 1 week ago
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as technology professionals, and we create onramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in fourteen cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greater Boston, MA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; the National Capital Region; Newark, NJ, New York, NY; and Philadelphia, PA. To date, Per Scholas has trained more than 10,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life changing skills and careers in technology.
Learn more at perscholas.org.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits like health care and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas is seeking a fully remote, Software Engineer Instructor to deliver high-end technical training to underemployed and unemployed community residents for purposes of higher economic development and improvement of quality of life. The Software Engineer Instructor must be self-directed, self-motivated, and comfortable with making intermediate-level decisions to adapt processes and curriculum delivery based on current conditions. The Software Engineer Instructor works in collaboration with peers on dealing with students, and works with the Managing Director to change policies and procedures, and on strategic planning.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Deliver technology skills training and assessments to prepare students for careers in the field of software development
- Deliver training in, but not limited to: HTML, CSS, Python, Java, SDLC
- Deliver backend training in Express, Django(python) - Springboot (java), JDBC
- Deliver full CRUD applications including using NoSQL, Postgres SQL, mongoDB
- Manage daily instruction, assessment administration, attendance tracking, one-on-one tutoring, student evaluation, and individual student progress monitoring
- Prepare training lessons and materials, leveraging existing PS curriculum content
- Create, submit, and maintain training curricula for approval and school files
- Work closely with Program Design team to create student content on the PS Academy
- Work closely with co-instructors or teaching assistants to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress
- Work closely with the team to identify student needs, provide the necessary support, and establish individualized plans for student achievement
- Maintain Salesforce database with student scores and attendance data
- Monitor student compliance to attendance and other program policies, and address violations with students in a consistent manner. Work with Manager, Career Advancement to ensure documents such as probationary and termination letters are prepared and delivered
- Work with Career Advancement team to engage volunteers from the business community as they interact with students as classroom speakers, mentors, and small group coaches
- Work with Career Advancement team to recommend students for particular employment opportunities
- Work with Career Advancement team to support alumni in completing additional requirements
- Learn new software tools, languages, and technologies as needed
- Connect students with the resources necessary for them to overcome potential barriers to maintaining success in school
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US:
- You have at least 3+ years of experience working on a software development team.
- You have working experience in both front-end and back-end development and are fluent in HTML/5, CSS/3, and Java Script.
- At least one front end framework (Angular or React preferred).
- At least one additional object-oriented language (Java or C++).
- A Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in a related field is preferred but not required.
- Experience with curriculum, syllabus development, and lesson planning.
- Experience with student assessment; and a talent to continuously evaluate the curriculum to identify what is working and what improvements can be made
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are tech savvy and can learn fast.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able to access well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.