Senior Software Engineer
Center for Policing Equity · Los Angeles or RemoteEngineering Partners & Advocates Human Rights & Equality Posted 1 month ago
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled Sr. Software Engineer with a passion for social justice issues and racial equity. The Sr. Software Engineer will be a member of the Data-Driven Interventions (DDI) team and collaborate closely with our Data Engineer, as well as our data scientists and data managers who develop and use a codebase that audits, wrangles, and analyzes police data belonging to CPE's National Justice Database (NJD). The Sr. Software Engineer will be primarily responsible for supporting and maintaining our new custom-built web application, serving automated reports to law enforcement agencies. This role is intended as a senior member of our growing engineering team.
The NJD is the first and largest collection of standardized data on police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, complaints against officers, etc.). Each police department participating in the NJD delivers data to CPE for wrangling and analysis, and then receives a report and recommendations with the ultimate goal of reducing bias and increasing procedural justice and police legitimacy in the community.
- Serve as primary developer for our in-house web application built to serve reports for Law Enforcement Agencies that have contributed their data to the National Justice Database
- Act as primary resource to maintain web application; both front-end(Vue.js) and back-end(Python/Flask)
- Implement changes to web application front-end and back-end based on direction from leadership
- Drive improvements to application design and functionality based on user feedback
- Serve as backup resource to Data Engineer to support backend infrastructure including AWS hosted services, relational databases, in-house data integrations and other services
- Own development of CPE’s software with a high degree of autonomy
- Serve as a peer mentor to other engineers
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Expertise with standard web technologies like HTML5 and CSS3
- Strong relational database fundamentals and experience with MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar
- Knowledge and experience working with git or similar version control systems
- Familiarity with software development best practices, including test driven development, code reviews and CI/CD.
- Ability to work independently and lead on all software development
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passionate about social justice issues, particularly policing and racial equity
Application Submission Guidelines:
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials on our website - https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3427987
- Cover Letter