Senior Product Development Engineer
Sunfolding · Alameda, CAEngineering Environment Posted 1 month ago
Sunfolding is fueling the future of smart solar by designing solar trackers that simply move our world forward. Our simply smarter approach infuses every decision we make.
Together, our team is taking an entirely new approach to solar tracking, including work on novel actuators made from mass-manufactured polymers, innovative pneumatic systems as replacement to traditional mechanical drives, and rugged integrated controls to drive, test, and collect data for solar installations.
This role will support our rapidly growing team. The ideal candidate will be organized, great with people, and love to have their hands on hardware.
As a Product Development Engineer at Sunfolding you will be responsible for the engineering, design, and realization of new parts and products on Sunfolding's roadmap. The position spans a wide set of responsibilities within the our product development process, including: concept ideation, prototyping, design validation, design for manufacture, and product testing.
Sunfolding programs are fast paced and are a mix of independent and collaborative work. The role includes cross-functional collaboration on the development and implementation of qualification plans, coordinating with manufacturing partners, modeling of component and system level cost impacts and supporting program planning.
We offer a desirable salary, excellent medical, vision, and dental coverage, 401K, and access to our in-house 2500 sq. ft modern prototyping shop.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Familiarity with designing for high volume manufacturing processes including: injection molding, die casting, blow molding, progressive die stamping, roll forming, etc.
- Familiarity with designing products for total lifetime cost and DFX
- Experience in Computer Aided Design, preferably SolidWorks
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Machine shop skills, preferably experience with CNC
- Ability and desire to organize documents and data effectively
- Clear communication with internal team members and external vendors
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Design components for high volume manufacturing, incorporating process specific best practices, results from FEA analysis and generated part cost models
- Guide manufacturing programs from introduction to the supplier through part approval.
- Design of prototypes, test equipment, plates, brackets, stands or any other peripheral item that may be needed for the program
- Implementation, fabrication, and assembly from drawings and CAD
- Create test plans and documentation (with guidance from Reliability). May require the design and build of physical test equipment.
- Implementation of test plans.
- Create systems to collect, organize and store program relevant data.
- Process data and create reports to accompany a design portfolio for the product.
- Interface directly with suppliers when technical issues arise or specific data is needed
- Own product(s) from design through product launch
Education and Experience
- Experience transitioning multiple high-volume, cost-conscious mechanical products from engineering concept through high-volume production
- GD&T, drawings, specifications, and proficiency with modern productivity tools
- 5+ years professional experience in an engineering role.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.