Software Engineer - Backend ML Platform
Afresh Technologies · San Francisco, CAEngineering Food & Agriculture Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Posted 3 weeks ago
At Afresh, our mission is to make the fresh food supply chain more efficient, thus dramatically reducing food waste and making fresh, nutritious food available and accessible to everyone. Our A.I.-powered solutions optimize ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments for brick-and-mortar grocers. The results are powerful: grocers using Afresh are on track to reduce more than 20M pounds of food waste, while increasing fresh sales by 3%, massively increasing their profitability.
Our software engineers at Afresh are building the scalable systems and platforms to enable machine learning and data teams to solve complex issues for our customers. They are a critical part of our small team designing, creating, and scaling our API’s, and building the components to make transforming data more scalable and usable. If you're interested in machine learning, data infrastructure, and our mission to reduce food waste, we hope you'll join us!
What will you be doing?
- Help us build and expand our machine learning platform - you take pride in building and maintaining large scale, high performance and fault tolerant systems and platforms
- Implement reusable libraries and abstractions for ensuring that we can scale our services to more, bigger customers and different departments and domains
- Work with data + ML engineers to determine how to process + scale customer data
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of experts in machine learning, data scientists, design, software engineering, and business operations to ensure that the resulting data is as expected
What skills or experience do you need?
The following represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- 4+ years of experience writing production code in one of: Java, Scala, or Python, Ruby
- Passion for writing highly scalable and reliable code
- Experience building or interacting with API’s e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform.
- You have experience with a version of SQL (postgres, mysql, spark, etc.)
Founded in 2017, Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Food Retail Ventures, Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.