Full Stack Engineer
Charity: Water · New York, NYEngineering Human Rights & Equality Food & Agriculture Partners & Advocates Posted 3 weeks ago
Location: This opportunity is remote and open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or with an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll work with a distributed team of engineers to develop and maintain the technology that engages and grows the charity: water donor community.
As a Full Stack Engineer at charity: water, you'll code for a cause, developing software to improve our donor experience and internal systems. You’ll report to the VP of Engineering and work with the Engineering and Subscription teams to own and solve problems end-to-end.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Brainstorming with engineers, product managers, and designers to conceptualize and build new features for our portfolio of products, which include: charity: water’s online donation and fundraising platform, including marketing initiatives and user reporting systems that enable our water programs teams to manage projects from the grant phase through physical implementation
- Writing modern, well-tested, maintainable code to ensure the smooth operation of all our systems with minimal tech debt
- Collaborating with engineers and contributing to technical team discussions to ensure efficient, well-maintained systems
- Guiding your fellow engineers through detailed code reviews and participating in regular design and ideation meetings
- Improving tooling, documentation, and processes within the engineering team
YOU MUST HAVE…
- At least 3 years developing full-stack web applications in a fast-paced environment
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- Proficiency with a modern MVC framework (Ruby/Python preferred)
- Knowledge of relational databases and caching strategies
- An agile approach to software development and maintenance cycles
- A strong interest in using technology to improve the lives of underprivileged peoples
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Integrated knowledge of React, SASS, Git, Varnish, and or Redis
- Experience working to develop clean and linear front-end code on Ruby on Rails
- Experience with dynamic donation-based platforms such as Stripe/Paypal
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You possess strong computer science fundamentals
You know which tools and data structures to use to deliver simple, yet high-performing solutions. You enjoy turning ideas into working code and are passionate about building scalable and reliable products with a fulfilling user experience.
You're a problem solver
We find ways of getting it done at charity: water. We don't invest time on why it can't be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You’re curious and collaborative
You learn from and contribute to your team through means of code reviews, technical team discussions, and pairing.
You execute for quality
You recognize the value of testable and maintainable code and strive to follow best practices to improve the quality of the codebase.
You're an excellent communicator
You can clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues the team faces. You can patiently explain complex concepts or code to a technical or non-technical audience.
The Engineering team is made up of problem-solvers committed to collaborating well and delivering the highest quality code. They are crucial to the success of our main fundraising platforms and the heartbeat behind the software that makes our work possible. Using our base tech stack Rails, React, and Postgres, they enable us to spread generosity to end the world water crisis.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 11 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.