Staff Software Engineer, Airbnb.org
Airbnb · San Francisco / Seattle / RemoteEngineering Partners & Advocates Posted 3 weeks ago
THE AIRBNB.ORG TEAM
Our community of hosts believes that everyone should have a safe place to call home. Inspired by their actions, we established Airbnb.org, a 501(c)(3) separate and independent nonprofit organization, which has helped provide safe housing for over 50,000 people to date in response to hundreds of emergency events around the world including hurricanes, wildfires, refugee crises, and a global pandemic. The Airbnb.org team within Airbnb works in support of the Airbnb.org non-profit. We believe everyone has something to share and build tools that enable impactful individual generosity at scale.
The Airbnb.org product team has a wide scope of ownership, including the Airbnb booking flow, hosting tools, relief worker travel management, donation tooling, and home-grown emergency response infrastructure.
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
We’re looking for an experienced, fullstack engineer, passionate about social impact, who can help us build the vision of a nimble, flexible, and global emergency response program. As a senior technical individual contributor, you will tackle some of our broadest technical challenges. This role requires deep technical knowledge, hands-on software development, technical leadership, and seamless collaboration with all functions.
We are a small team working in an evolving space, so our engineers must be comfortable in a fluid work environment where responsibilities may change rapidly in response to sudden shifts in world events or government policy.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with cross functional partners on all aspects of product development
- Envision and develop features to help build a global supply of free housing and donation support.
- Work with the engineering team to plan longer term projects into sensible MVP milestones.
- Mentoring team members to up-level technical and architectural skills.
- Identify and advocate for areas of improvement through data insights and research.
Recent projects on the Airbnb.org team:
- Launched Frontline Stays, a new program to connect COVID-19 responders around the world with emergency housing near where they were deployed.
- Launched a new screening framework to ascertain the need of guests seeking free housing.
- Enabled Airbnb users to give a one time donation to our non-profit partners
- 8+ years industry experience
- Leading role in the design, implementation, and deployment of one or more long term initiatives through collaboration with cross functional partners.
- Experience as a full-stack developer, ideally React/Typescript and Java/Kotlin
- Solid understanding of engineering best practices, continuous integration, and incremental delivery.
- Expertise designing APIs and building scalable RESTful services
- Comfortable advocating for product improvements by leveraging data insights & user research
- Demonstrable interest in the social impact field.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on a donations platform, grassroots campaign tooling, or online consumer products that require offline interaction
- Demonstrated knowledge of A/B testing fundamentals
- Experience working on initiatives that address fundamental needs (ex - security of housing, food, job, psychological safety, and human rights etc)
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
We value diversity at Airbnb and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!