Data Analyst, MAF Lab
Mission Asset Fund · San Francisco, CAData + Analytics Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Posted 5 days ago
Do you enjoy working with data to answer pressing research questions? Do you want to be challenged, leverage a ton of skills, and be on the cutting edge of economic justice work? Do you have a good laugh, brainstorm a lot, get frustrated sometimes but inspired frequently, and be on the right side of history?
Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is looking for a Data Analyst to join the MAF Lab, our R&D team. As the Data Analyst, your primary responsibility will be to help us query, clean and analyze data to help us communicate about the impact of our work, uplift the financial lives and savviness of our community, and understand the effectiveness of our products.
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized national leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good.
MAF is seeking a Data Analyst who can help MAF turn our rich data into rich insights for projects.
An awesome place to work: We’re right in the Mission District in San Francisco. It’s awesome here, with diverse restaurants, bars, and shops. We’ve got great team outings (fighting zombies, putt-putt and bowling to name a few). And the team is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. With an open office environment, collaboration and teamwork are more than just values - they’re a way of life. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Reports to: MAF Lab Director
The Opportunity: We are seeking a Data Analyst to help us synthesize insights by analyzing our data to understand our program impact, uplift insights about our client’s financial lives, and help publish research reports.
Desired skills and experience:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a STEM discipline OR equivalent experience
- You have 1-2 years of experience with data warehousing, database management, data integrity, and/or large-scale data cleaning
- You are skilled (intermediate level or higher) at using tools like SQL, R, or Python, to manipulate and clean data
- You are skilled at communicating about data and insights to a general audience
- You have good judgement about when to escalate problems to leadership and when to carry out solutions on your own
- Good sense of humor, healthy interpersonal skills, and a “can do” positive attitude.
The challenges you’ll be working to solve:
MAF is a data driven company, so you’ll be very busy!
Lab Team Analytics - 50%
On the MAF Lab team we have many projects to monitor. We use data to inform future projects, identify enhancements and find issues in how we are storing the data. With the team you’ll build and execute analysis plans, do ad hoc data pulls, backup existing data, merge information from different sources, and do data cleanups. Our data is stored in a variety of databases including Salesforce, Mixpanel, and Qualtrics. If you have familiarity with these platforms, we’d love to hear about it!
Data Reporting - 30%
Our philanthropy and programs team works to apply for grants to support MAF’s programming. Grants require data reporting, which gives us an opportunity to show the progress we have made as an organization. You will meet with members of the philanthropy team to discuss upcoming grant reports, write code and set up reporting dashboards to ensure seamless reporting in the future, and conduct ad hoc data pulls to supplement their reports.
Research Team Contribution - 20%
You’ll collaborate with our research and analyst team and the experienced data scientists they work with to develop surveys, conduct literature reviews, validate their data and develop your own analyses for inclusion into policies briefs, blogs and reports for internal and external audiences.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated salary range of $77,000. Salary will be dependent on experience.
- We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, and 13 paid holidays.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 4% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit—including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
Our Hiring Process and Timeline:
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important for us to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this job, what you like about MAF, and share examples of past work you’ve done that makes you a strong candidate.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews in February.
- We will begin one-hour video interviews by the end of February. If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for a skills assessment relevant to this position.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible - ideally in early March.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Mission Asset Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Mission Asset Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Deadline: Applications are processed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
No phone calls or emails.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.