Machine Learning Engineer
Age of Learning · Glendale, CAEngineering Education Posted 1 month ago
About the job
Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of more than 600 individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, developers, artists, writers, designers, engineers, producers, product managers, analysts and marketing experts! Together we develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Our flagship product ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy®is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 8 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we’re looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
Age of Learning is seeking a Machine Learning Engineer that can use statistical machine learning to elevate and personalize each child’s experience in our award-winning educational game, My Math Academy . You will be building models, doing feature engineering, and working with an engineering team to ship the models in production and monitor their success.
- Build and evaluate classification and regression models, using techniques like logistic regression, XGBoost, and stacked ensemble models
- Collaborate with engineering and design teams to put models in production
- Pull data from a large relational database and do reproducible feature engineering
- Iterate on a model to improve metrics
- Build unsupervised learning models, using techniques like KNN
- Write clean code; use Git; write unit tests; participate in code reviews
- Develop insights from data and communicate them to stakeholders
- Monitor models in production
- 4+ years of statistical programming experience
- Comfortable with software engineering best practices, like writing functions, using abstraction, testing, and code review
- Skilled in R and/or Python
- Familiar with the tidyverse, especially the ggplot and dplyr libraries
- Skilled at SQL, efficiently query large datasets and comfortable writing JOIN queries and WINDOW functions
- Skilled at Git
- Can do feature engineering and build and evaluate predictive models, using metrics like AUC or precision-recall to evaluate success
- Familiar with exploratory data analysis
- Can generate meaningful interpretations of data and communicate it effectively to a technical audience
- Ability to generate actionable recommendations to product team from analytics insights
- Experience working with a predictive model in a production environment
- Can communicate interpretations of data to a non-technical audience
- Able to write an algorithm to find a path between two nodes on a graph
- Experience with AWS and has built a predictive model in Sagemaker
- Knowledge of client-server architectures and can communicate directly with a production engineering team
- A good judgment about when to optimize for performance
- Docker experience
- Experience with educational games, or any kind of games or mobile application
- Integrated with the R or Python community, staying up to date on the latest techniques for software engineering, predictive modeling, and feature engineering
- Can create an R package
- Familiar with Learning Science literature and algorithms, such as Spaced Repetition, IRT, etc.
Age Of Learning Currently Provides
- 90% - 100% of health and welfare benefit premiums
- A 401(k) program with employer match
- 15 paid vacation days plus 11 observed national paid holidays
- Team bonding events and a highly collaborative environment
- Commitment to Equal Opportunity Employment in addition to an inclusive and supportive company culture
- Access to our internal DEI Task Force that focuses on ensuring our products represent all children on a global scale
- Opportunities for professional growth through professional learning and development programs
- A temporary 100% remote work environment, due to COVID restrictions, to help ensure the safety of our employees
- Monthly internet stipend provided due to temporary remote work environment