Senior Front End Engineer
Only One · RemoteEngineering Public Service & Civic Engagement Education Environment $115000 Per Year Posted 1 month ago
At the Only One Collective, our purpose is to turn the tide on ocean conservation by connecting people to urgent environmental issues and the communities affected by them, while identifying clear steps that will drive significant change. We do this through our two sister organizations: SeaLegacy and the Only One Platform. We focus on amplifying stories and campaigns that sit at the intersection of ocean health and social justice. We want to redistribute power by making the space we have available to a diverse group of storytellers and activists, prioritizing those whose experiences and narratives are marginalized and whose campaigns could use broad grassroots support to achieve meaningful impact.
The Only One Collective was first established in 2019, and today the organization has twenty full-time employees, across product, design, content, engagement. By partnering with other changemakers in the space, we aim to support innovative solutions that strengthen marine ecosystems and the communities that depend on them most.
The Only One Collective has a sizable existing community, including 10M followers across social media channels, an email list of ~300K, and The Tide, a growing community of ~4K monthly donors committed to supporting ocean solutions.
As Senior Front End Engineer you will continue the development of the Only One platform as a part of a lean and talented ~5-person product team. You will work alongside and report to the CTO, while managing a combination of in-house and contract developers through this early phase of growth. You will be responsible for managing the day to day development of the front-end Angular app and for coordinating closely with our backend developer to build our Rails API.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with the CTO and Senior Product Designer to develop the product vision, prioritize features, and maintain the product roadmap.
- Lead the development of our existing Angular (2+) web app, making high-level decisions and developing alongside our CTO, junior developer(s) and contractors. This includes:
- A custom publishing system built on top of a headless CMS that empowers our wider team to publish and organize a diverse array of content, while maintaining tight control on design aesthetics and user experience.
- A robust Stripe integration for accepting one-off and recurring donations in multiple currencies.
- A logged-in experience that helps members of the community find personal content recommendations, track the impact of their past actions and donations, and find new, relevant ways to engage in the movement.
- Advocacy tools including petitions and fundraisers that enable our community to act collaboratively for the health of the ocean.
- Co-manage product design and development sprint cycles based on agile methodologies.
- Manage integration with our backend Rails API, helping to guide API design and coordinating sprints with backend developers.
- Manage development sprints as a part of a data-driven, iterative product cycle.
- Work closely with our product designers to deliver a highly competitive, intuitive user-experience, and a visually beautiful, precisely crafted product.
- Understand the importance of test-driven development, helping the team to balance strategic urgency and long-term codebase health.
- 6+ years experience as a software engineer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- Professional experience with one or more object-oriented programming languages.
- A proven track record writing robust, future-proof, extensible code that enable a rapid and safe deployment cycle.
- Experience running agile development cycles.
- Experience developing collaboratively and leading development processes using Git version control and Git flow practices.
- Experience setting up and maintaining the necessary development environment to efficiently write, debug, test, and deploy front-end applications.
- Experience contributing to and building a remote team culture.
You possess strong computer science fundamentals.
- You know which tools and data structures to use to deliver simple, yet high-performing solutions. You enjoy turning ideas into working code and are passionate about building scalable and reliable products with a fulfilling user experience.
You balance the tension between shipping fast and excellence.
- You understand the value of testable and maintainable code and strive to follow best practices to improve the quality of the codebase. You have a bias towards shipping, but balance it with a desire to ship excellent code, and know when to choose one over the other.
You’re curious and collaborative.
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. We're a small and efficient team; every person plays an essential role in our organization. You bring humor, humility, and kindness to your work.
You’re an excellent communicator.
- You can clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the challenges the team faces. You can patiently explain complex concepts or code to a technical or non-technical audience.
You’re a self-starter.
- You have a growth mindset and you don’t wait for permission to go and do something. You see something broken, and you fix it. You have a great idea, and you make it happen.
This is a full-time position with the opportunity to work remotely.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Fully remote work set up to allow flexibility for your own working style
- Stipends for personal learning developments as well as home office set-up
- Competitive salary + benefits
- 3+ weeks guaranteed PTO
- Unique opportunities for you to spend time in the field (or the ocean!) with our incredible storytellers
At the Only One Collective, we are committed to building a workforce composed of individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and identities. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We collect information about our applicants' backgrounds so that we can assess the diversity of our pool of applicants as we seek to build an organization made up of people with a broad range of lived experiences. We believe having a diverse team makes us a better organization, one better positioned to harness the power of storytelling, collective action, and crowdfunding to rebuild ocean life for people and nature.
Read more about our commitment to justice and equity here.