Senior Vice President of Product
BetterLesson · Remote (USA)Product Education Posted 4 weeks ago
BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive, and personalized. Instead of the conventional one-size-fits-all professional development format for educators, BetterLesson supports teachers in a way that’s personalized and continuous -- using a mix of remote 1:1 coaching, remote team coaching, remote workshops, and in-person workshops, all supported by the BetterLesson Lab software. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to suggest customized teaching strategies, to measure impact on student learning, and to improve teaching practice continuously through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
BetterLesson has raised over $30M of venture capital and grant funding, serves over 400 school districts, sees 850K+ monthly active users accessing our online lessons and strategies, and is expanding quickly.
About Our Culture
We are a growing team of teaching practice geeks, educational opportunity devotees, and product development specialists who are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as reflected in and supported by our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Continuum. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision on behalf of students.
BetterLesson is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and value the inclusion of diverse perspectives of our team in support of our work with students and partners. We are deeply committed to providing equitable access and lifting up different voices inside and outside of the organization. We enthusiastically invite individuals of all backgrounds, including people of all races, colors, religions, sexes, pregnancy statuses (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origins, ages, marital statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, non-disqualifying physical or mental disabilities, and/or any other characteristics unrelated to merit, to apply. At BetterLesson, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive into our highly dynamic organization headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We offer a unique opportunity to join a small team and make a massive impact on our education system.
About The Role
BetterLesson is looking for an SVP of Product to drive our next phase of rapid growth. Reporting to the CEO, you will be responsible for the short-term and long-term product vision and strategy, developing a strong and mature product organization, and helping to grow the business that is aligned with BetterLesson’s mission and objectives.
- Synthesize multiple inputs including analytics, competitive research, customer feedback, insight from cross-functional team members, and company strategy into a cohesive, data-driven product vision
- Manage our Product Management, Engineering, Learning Design, and Product Design teams and lead the development of best-in-class synchronous and asynchronous content enabled by our platform
- Build strong relationships across teams, in particular with Engineering, Learning Design, Solution Design, - Sales, Marketing, Services, and Customer Experience to facilitate increased effectiveness of direct and indirect product work
- Inspire and motivate the company and align the company around our product north star
- Ensure that leadership has clearly defined the company’s core competencies and identified opportunities to outsource non-core activities
- Use your superior problem-solving skills to quickly resolve conflicts or complications within Product, enabling smooth performance and reduced delays
- Lead an effective planning process that clearly defines OKRs, identifies cross-functional dependencies, and develops clear product roadmaps to help guide cross-functional work
- Define and analyze numerous product metrics and know when and how to apply each in order to influence the success of the product
- Anticipate and guide data analysis and research work to deepen understanding of landscape and inform product decisions
- Work with senior leadership to promote a culture of deep understanding of systemic inequity and bias both internally and in our products
- Curious, collaborative, and excited to tackle hard challenges
- An effective communicator who motivates and inspires cross-functional teams with professionalism and clarity – you are a master of the written & spoken word to prevent misunderstandings & wasted effort
- A scrappy entrepreneurial spirit and know how to get stuff done with your team’s resources. You also know when to advocate for greater investment
- Not of the “not invented here” mindset and are open to partnering with outside companies to advance the product goals
- Service-oriented: obsessed with the customer & understands their needs / wants (both spoken & unspoken)
- Present empathy for the customer -- Thinking about how they’ll feel, not just their logic & rational thinking
- Able to naturally digest, process, synthesize information with endless curiosity
- 10+ years of B2B and/or B2C tech-enabled and subscription services product management experience, leading high growth initiatives in early and growth stage settings ideally
- Deep knowledge of the K-12 professional learning space including curriculum-aligned and non curriculum-aligned content with experience developing products for SaaS platforms
- Experience defining and driving the product vision and strategy
- Track record of identifying and recruiting potential talent, and then working actively and continuously with those people to address their weaknesses and exploit their strengths
- Has created a clear system for working, capturing ideas, prioritizing features, & calculating ROI
- An insatiable drive to make things better, balanced by a desire to focus on the things that truly move the needle in customer retention and satisfaction
- Expert on modern forms of product planning, customer discovery, product discovery, and product development process
We Can Offer You
- The opportunity to work with an awesome team to solve important problems
- Competitive salary
- Health and other employee benefits
- Equity in the business you are helping to build
- A strong remote-first culture
- A flexible schedule and vacation policy
- The opportunity to spend everyday working to improve outcomes for teachers and students