Principal Product Manager
The Democratic National Committee · Remote (USA)Product Public Service & Civic Engagement Posted 3 weeks ago
User Experience Design (UX)
The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring a data product manager to help us build tools to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country. The Tech team works closely with campaigns up and down the ballot to provide them data and tools they need to win. We need an experienced product manager to help us identify the biggest product opportunities and to work with our analysts, data scientists, designers, and engineers to build solutions that address those opportunities.
Who we are
The Tech team is a small, diverse team that provides the technology used by candidates and organizers in all 50 states and all 3,413 counties across the United States to analyze data, organize campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote on election day. But there’s more to do. So we’re hiring product managers, engineers, researchers, designers, security experts, IT professionals, and data scientists who can use user-centered design and rapid iteration to develop a rich technology ecosystem for progressives—building tools ourselves as well as partnering with other companies and organizations.
Our data warehouse and analytics platform is our product. We are deeply committed to equipping candidates and campaigns around the country with the resources they need to win, and we are seeking a product manager to collaborate with the data team to identify the highest value opportunities to improve the quality, usability, and accessibility of our data for users at all levels. This role operates at the intersection of business, engineering, user experience, data analysis, and data science.
Lead the creation, execution and adoption of a data product roadmap in close collaboration with cross functional engineering and data/analytics. Strengthen and expand our successful core data products, and focus on enhancing the integrity of our data, acquiring new high-value datasets, and make our products more accessible.
Drive a user-centered approach to product development, generating customer insights to guide product vision and definition based on the needs of a diverse community of analysts and data scientists that can range from newcomers to the chief analytics officers of a senatorial or presidential campaign.
Create feedback loops in our products and pick the right metrics to measure whether we're actually solving real problems for our users.
Expand the DNC Tech Team's understanding of the various end users of Democratic data and ensure we're building the tools that best meet their needs.
What we will look for ..
- Have at least 5+ years experience as a product manager.
- Have experience partnering with, influencing, and driving buy-in from product teams (Product Management, Design, Engineering, UX Research, Data Science)
- Skilled at stakeholder management.
- Feel comfortable with one or more of the following: SQL, Python, R, data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Periscope, Google Data Studio)
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience distilling key functionality and benefits into product marketing messages
- Are curious, collaborative, and humble – ready to work with a diverse, distributed team to solve interesting problems together.
What we would be excited to see ..
- Electoral campaign experience, and specifically experience with political data, is not required, but is definitely a plus.
- Have a demonstrated track record in crafting compelling positioning and marketing content
- Product marketing experience—defining value propositions to accelerate product adoption, building ‘wow’ and ‘how to’ content and go to market activities to excite, delight and onboard users.
Do you want to..
- Secure the future of our country? Right now a lot is at stake in our country and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference.
- Work with amazing people? We’re building a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns working out of DC and New York, experienced product developers from the SF Bay Area, and more.
- Never stop learning? There are people who know about politics and people who know about technology and a few who have figured out some things about how to combine the two, but we are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
You can work from our headquarters in Washington, D.C.; with a concentration of folks in the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, or Chicago; or remotely from wherever you are. If you are coming from industry, however, be aware that some things are different in the world of politics: while we've done some budget hacking so we can be competitive when it comes to salaries we know we can’t beat Google or Facebook. On the other hand, you might legit help save the world.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.