IT Specialist (Application Software)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency · Durham, NCEngineering Environment $67180 - $87340 Per Year Posted 3 weeks ago
This position is in the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, Office of Technology Solutions, Systems Research and Development Division.
If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
Learn more about this agency
At the entry level of this position, you will:
- Design, develop and implement new software applications to meet program needs.
- Modify, test, install, implement, and support applications.
- Ensure rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies; principles, and practices to the delivery of application software services.
- Coordinate activities with program staff in order to meet program needs and maintain compliance with industry and agency standards for software applications.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses.
Conditions of Employment
- If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must submit a resume and required documents--see How to Apply section.
- You may be required to travel less than 25% of each month.
This position is designated as High Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation. All conditions of the pre-employment security process must be met before an official letter of employment can be issued with a report for duty date.
If you are selected, you may be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
To qualify for this position, you must have either:
-IT-related experience demonstrating each of these four competencies:
1) Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail;
2) Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services;
3) Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately;
4) Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations;
-a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems, or networks. For information about accreditation requirements, visit EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
In addition to the basic requirements above, you must meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the GS-11 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-09 level defined as reviewing customer requirements and demonstrating understanding of those requirements through written communications and visual aids; developing web applications and/or interfaces supporting deployment into a production environment
- OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree;
- OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; degree in an academic discipline described above.
Your answers to the on-line assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Skill in applying software and equipment characteristics; 2) Ability to maintain application software; 3) Ability to develop software; 4) Skill in applying software security policies and/or standards; 5) Skill in oral communication; 6) Skill in project management.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you have part-time work experience, read this: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
This position has portable work. If selected for this position, you may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager. Telework is available based on agency policy and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement which may not allow for full-time telework. NOTE: The agency is currently utilizing maximum telework flexibilities due to COVID. Once normal operations resume, you will be required to report to the location stated in this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the ‘Best Qualified’, ‘Well Qualified’, or ‘Qualified’ category.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here.
Documents to be submitted online:
NOTE: You should ensure your social security number, date of birth, and any other personal information are redacted.
--Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this online - it is not a document you need to upload).
--College transcripts - if qualifying for this position based on education or a combination of experience and education, you are required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned. NOTE: Official educational transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if you are selected, you must provide official transcripts before you start work with EPA. IF EDUCATION WAS COMPLETED AT A FOREIGN INSTITUTION: You must submit an equivalency evaluation with your application as described here: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
- Separated veterans claiming 5-point preference:
- - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service) or other official document/statement from the Armed Forces showing separation, discharge, or release from active duty; document must show separation is under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge)
- Separated veterans claiming 10-point preference based on compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more:
Other separated veterans claiming 10-point preference OR spouses, widows/widowers, or mothers claiming 10-point derived preference:
- - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service); document must show separation is under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge); and
- - VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage); and
- - SF-15 (use current version: SF-15 Form) (see page 2 for documents that can be submitted in lieu of the DD-214 and VA letter)
Active duty service members:
- - SF-15 (use current version: SF-15 Form); and
- - Other required documentation indicated on the SF-15
- - Certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge) within 120 days after you submit the certification)
To learn more about submitting documentation, visit Uploading Documents to USAJOBS.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You are strongly encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application for this position.
To begin the application process, click the Apply button to the right on this screen, follow the prompts to log-in/register, submit all required documents, and complete the assessment questionnaire. To be considered, you must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the day the announcement closes.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJOBS document portfolio feature.
If you cannot apply online, you must contact the Human Resources Office listed below for assistance no later than three business days prior to the closing date of this announcement. You must provide complete application materials by the day the announcement closes.
For detailed instructions to assist you in ensuring your application package is received, go to EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.