Volunteer Experience Manager
U.S. Digital Response · US - RemoteOther Health & Well-Being Partners & Advocates Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Public Service & Civic Engagement $110000 - $140000 Per Year Posted 3 weeks ago
About U.S. Digital Response
U.S. Digital Response (USDR) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort that helps governments and organizations respond quickly and efficiently to support the critical needs of the public.
Leveraging a network of pro-bono technical expertise and modern, resilient technology, USDR addresses and uncovers solutions for common, systemic challenges that public servants are facing, leaving them better equipped to deliver services and support to millions of people nationwide.
We operate with humility and deep respect for our partners and believe that modern and resilient technology applied in the public interest can deliver people-centered services at the speed of need.
During our first year, USDR built a year’s worth of deep partnerships with over 180 government and nonprofit partners, strong expertise across more than 250 projects, real-world impact to 13 million people, and repeatable processes to solve some of the most pressing challenges of this pandemic year.
We are in a moment where money and resources are being pointed to areas where these assets can provide a ton of value to people across the country. For example, a recent survey of local governments showed that 50% of their existing COVID-19 relief funds went towards IT infrastructure illustrating how modernizing tech goes hand in hand with serving people. Additionally, the Cyber Security and Information Security Agency (CISA) and the General Services Administration will use $9B to launch new major IT and cybersecurity shared services.
We are looking for team members that will join the early conversations about what our organization can look like in our second year and help us define a strategy in this new world ripe for government digital transformation.
The Volunteer Experience Manager will oversee USDR’s Volunteer Experience Team and ensure our volunteers are able to effectively work with our government partners to use technology to better deliver critical services to real people.
To date, USDR has worked on over 250+ projects with 100+ partners and this is only possible because of the 600+ pro-bono technologists that have volunteered their time to support our government and NGO partners. This role will be responsible for orienting, supporting, and retaining volunteers to ensure we can continue to meet the needs of our partners. While our volunteers are experienced professionals, many are working with governments for the first time so it’s essential that we provide the support required for them to be successful. Additionally, as an organization that is fully remote with volunteers working on hundreds of projects at any given time, we must capture insights and learnings from past volunteers to continuously improve the resources and documentation available to volunteers.
The ideal candidate can effectively manage the operations of the team – defining and implementing the systems, tools, and resources required to manage a large pool of volunteers at differing stages of their volunteer journey – while also fostering a supportive and inviting community culture where volunteers derive meaningful professional and personal value.
The ideal candidate will have excellent management and communication skills, respond quickly and cheerfully to changing conditions, and be grounded in the importance of the work. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size.
In this role, you will:
- Provide volunteers with guidance through onboarding, robust resources, and care during their tenure to cultivate engagement and ensure a meaningful volunteer experience.
- Work with partner teams to ensure volunteer assignments provide impactful, satisfying work in a community reflective of the core values of the organization.
- Collaborate with the Recruiting, Tools and Operations, and Chief People Officer to ensure we are all aligned as a Volunteers Team and that we work together for smooth implementation of new programs.
- Build a team of volunteers to support the operations of the Volunteer Experience Team.
- Oversee volunteer programming including our speaker series and show and tells.
- Monitor and resolve any issues involving volunteers according to established procedures and organizational core values.
- Look at macro opportunities and pain points strategically to improve the overall volunteer experience while also jumping in to support individual volunteers when needed.
We are looking for someone with:
- 3+ years of experience in management roles leading and building teams, ideally operations or product teams; experience building new operations and processes from the ground up is a strong plus.
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects both from a strategic level and deep in the weeds.
- An orientation toward impact. Great candidates will be able to identify the most important problems to solve, define an MVP solution, implement it, learn, and refine.
- Commitment to creating an environment where volunteers of all backgrounds feel welcomed, supported, and able to thrive
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Experience in building partnerships and long-term collaborative working relationships, and someone who is comfortable thinking outside the box and finding amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Great interpersonal, networking, and rapport-building skills with volunteers, the executive team, team leads, and community partners.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders; the ability to understand the audience you are communicating with and then tailor content appropriately to that audience.
- Public speaking and presentation skills needed to lead various orientation sessions.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
What you'll get:
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits in the Bay Area where USDR is headquartered. The salary range for this role is $110,000-$140,000.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits.
- A budget for team-level learning and development
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves in a difficult time. This means that we are committed to a fully remote work environment along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled. All applicants will hear back from us before the end of the process, and top applicants will be invited to meet with various members of our Executive Team and Team Leads.
- The USDR Executive Team recently hosted an information session that is now available to watch to learn more about USDR, this role, and others.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage and welcome all interested potential applicants, regardless of background or prior experience volunteering with U.S. Digital Response, to apply.