Marketing and Communications Manager
U.S. Digital Response · US - RemoteOther Health & Well-Being Partners & Advocates Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Public Service & Civic Engagement $110000 - $150000 Per Year Posted 3 weeks ago
About U.S. Digital
U.S. Digital Response (USDR) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort that helps governments and organizations respond quickly and efficiently to support the critical needs of the public.
Leveraging a network of pro-bono technical expertise and modern, resilient technology, USDR addresses and uncovers solutions for common, systemic challenges that public servants are facing, leaving them better equipped to deliver services and support to millions of people nationwide.
We operate with humility and deep respect for our partners and believe that modern and resilient technology applied in the public interest can deliver people-centered services at the speed of need.
During our first year, USDR built a year’s worth of deep partnerships with over 180 government and nonprofit partners, strong expertise across more than 250 projects, real-world impact to 13 million people, and repeatable processes to solve some of the most pressing challenges of this pandemic year.
We are in a moment where money and resources are being pointed to areas where these assets can provide a ton of value to people across the country. For example, a recent survey of local governments showed that 50% of their existing COVID-19 relief funds went towards IT infrastructure illustrating how modernizing tech goes hand in hand with serving people. Additionally, the Cyber Security and Information Security Agency (CISA) and the General Services Administration will use $9B to launch new major IT and cybersecurity shared services.
We are looking for team members that will join the early conversations about what our organization can look like in our second year and help us define a strategy in this new world ripe for government digital transformation.
The Marketing and Communications Manager creates the content, strategy, and relationships to share the story of U.S. Digital Response with the world. This person is conscientious and multi-talented: someone who can write content, manage a campaign, talk with a reporter on deadline, and coordinate a talented team of marketing volunteers as well external contractors. They will proactively look for opportunities for us to share and capture stories of impact, use content to build trust and grow our partners in key areas, do the little and the big things to keep Marketing Team running, strategize with other teams at USDR on how best to build and advise in the space, and assist in fundraising to support these efforts. They will manage and mentor USDR’s Marketing Team (composed of pro bono volunteers supported by full-time staff) in working directly with USDR’s project leads and government partners as they use technology to better deliver critical services to people across America.
For people new to working for a nonprofit, you might imagine that our work might feel too slow or removed when compared to the private or public sector—in our case, tackling a crisis and leveraging our rapid response model has enabled us to move incredibly fast and serve huge numbers of people. In just one year, USDR has taken on over 250+ projects with 150+ government agencies and NGOs and our tools have directly served more than 13 million people. We’ve also established specialized program teams focused on Elections, Health, and Unemployment Insurance.
This role matters because we can only help people once they know to reach out. That means we need to tell our story clearly and concisely to people who are in the midst of crisis, and we need to work at the speed of need to quickly and iteratively share our product offerings, sometimes while they are mid-development. We earn trust by supporting public servants at their most critical decision points through empathetic partnership, quick delivery, and “demos, not memos.” We also earn trust by showing potential and current volunteers the impact of what they do, and the potential when technologists commit themselves to the public interest. We work with humility, kindness, and humor, and we also hold ourselves to a high bar, because our work is so important to so many.
The ideal candidate is experienced with managing marketing and communications for an organization with many teams and stakeholders. This is a hands-on role, and they should know how to create content, track and report key metrics, build social campaigns, manage website copy, lead messaging sessions, and build trust with external partners and internal teams in order to accurately tell their stories. They do not need both government and technology experience, but should be passionate about serving the public, and they should recognize that in order to help governments and nonprofits deliver better services, they will need to take the time to deeply understand existing constraints and systems and learn to communicate effectively within them.
In this role you will:
- Develop and execute content marketing and social media campaigns to increase engagement, traffic, and brand awareness.
- Manage and mentor the USDR marketing volunteers, produce the marketing content calendar, and ensure that all assets are produced at the highest possible quality and in a timely manner.
- Communicate our shared vision effectively both internally and externally, across our community of volunteers and partner ecosystem.
- Build relationships with key partner governments, nonprofits, and associations.
- Coordinate campaigns with external partners such as PR firms, contractors, and volunteers, to ensure that deliverables are assigned, completed, and QA’d on schedule.
- Ensure every marketing campaign has multiple components that include assets focused on volunteers, government partners, donors, and the press.
- Partner with the rest of USDR’s internal teams to find creative and effective ways to increase inbounds from governments, tell the story of our products, inspire new volunteers, highlight stellar partners, and grow the USDR community.
- Respond to press inquiries (in the past year, we've been fortunate to be a part of stories in outlets like the New York Times, the Washington Post, StateScoop, CNBC, and the Wall Street Journal) and be an ally for reporters looking for key context to tell a story to their communities as well as for USDR team members in search of the best messaging
- Cultivate a clear and compelling “front door” for USDR by managing the content on our website and public-facing accounts.
- Work closely with the executive team to maintain organizational knowledge and to develop and execute a strategy for USDR’s overall approach to marketing, communications, and growth.
We're looking for someone with:
- 5+ years of experience in content marketing, product marketing, and/or public relations.
- Experience creating and running highly effective campaigns from conception to completion while tracking key outcomes.
- Exceptional project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines across stakeholder groups.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- A commitment to mentoring individual team members and to creating a successful, welcoming team culture.
- The ability to whip up on-point, eloquent, compassionate messaging on the fly.
- Experience marketing to a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders.
- Experience working directly with executive teams to define and communicate key organizational messages and strategies.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and the capacity to make smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Strong interest or experience in supporting equitable, effective access to public services using modern technology, design, and research practices.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled. All applicants will hear back from us before the end of the process, and top applicants will be invited to meet with various members of our Executive Team and Team Leads.
- The USDR Executive Team recently hosted an information session that is now available to watch to learn more about USDR, this role, and others.
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits in the Bay Area where USDR is headquartered. The annual salary range for this role is $110,000-$150,000, depending on experience.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits.
- A budget for team-level learning and development
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves in a difficult time. This means that we are committed to a fully remote work environment along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage and welcome all interested potential applicants, regardless of background or prior experience volunteering with U.S. Digital Response, to apply.