Senior Software Engineer
Ellevest · Remote (USA)Engineering Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Human Rights & Equality Posted 2 weeks ago
About This Position
As a Senior Software Engineer at Ellevest, you will work to design, build, and support many of the core systems powering Ellevest’s software and user experience. From our web and mobile apps to our financial computation engine, our Engineering team is at the heart of our organization, ensuring a best-in-class experience for our clients. We follow agile methodologies and on a day-to-day basis, leverage Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native, among others. Our systems run on a modern AWS stack supported by exciting new technologies, and our entire team works in a highly collaborative, flexible structure to build towards high impact client facing outcomes.
This is a remote position, and you will be working under the direction of one of our Engineering Managers within the Engineering organization.
- Code in a collaborative, agile environment developing new features across the stack
- Write well-tested, clean code and review other team members’ contributions
- Collaborate closely with product managers, product designers, software engineers, and QA engineers to develop new product features and implement product enhancements
- Investigate and fix bugs throughout the codebase
- Design, develop, and maintain core financial operations systems
- Help plan, technically direct, and implement new features across the product
- Improve site scalability and performance
- Provide support and guidance for junior team members
- At least 5 years professional Ruby experience
- Experience in the financial services industry, or knowledge of investments or transaction management
- Good command of object-oriented and functional programming best practices
- Ability to support and scale consumer-facing web applications and familiarity working with third party APIs
- Good command of SQL and knowledge about proper database design and management
- Devops experience a plus (Ansible, Terraform, and AWS experience a big plus!)
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and cross-functional work environment. This includes working independently and on a team.
- Passion for our mission to get more money in the hands of more women+
Ellevest was built with a mission to get more money in the hands of women+. With a money membership that gives access to investing, banking, learning, and coaching and a private wealth management service, Ellevest helps women+ take control of their financial futures.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck. Sallie is chair of the Ellevate Network and author of “Own It: The Power of Women at Work.” She previously worked as CEO of Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management and as CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, and operations organizations working throughout the U.S.
We place a major emphasis on building a team and working environment where people can succeed professionally and personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, and to have room for fun and fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent and teamwork, and team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, Ellevest was named as one of LinkedIn’s 50 Hottest Companies to Work For and earned a spot on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list of “start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech, and business shifts” — both for the second year in a row. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Ideas, and CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Start-ups on a path to becoming tomorrow’s household names.” We are working every day to make this a reality and to create a brand and a service that helps women reach financial equality.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.