Machine Learning Engineer
The Trevor Project · RemoteEngineering Health & Well-Being Posted 6 days ago
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the Role
Our Machine Learning Engineer will contribute to The Trevor Project’s life-saving work by developing machine learning and natural language processing models that drive significant increases in quality of care and scalability for our crisis services and other internal processes. This individual will help the team contribute to the development of the machine learning models from concept to productionization, and integrate them across our platforms and services. The successful candidate will work closely with domain experts across The Trevor Project and will leverage advice and expertise from external partners and advisors.
Who you are
- Experienced. You have at least 2 years of machine learning, using one of these libraries: TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras; and natural language processing experience in a high-tech environment. You have developed high-performing models from concept to web production. You understand fundamental statistical methodologies
- Perpetual Learner. You are energized by learning about new topics and can quickly get up to speed and contribute to initiatives
- Collaborative. People love how you can explain complex concepts in a way that everyone can understand
- Innovative. You stay up-to-date on the latest research in AI, but always approach the problem-solving process first with practical, simple, and proven methods
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of the organization
- Inspirational. You love working with people and know how to excite them about the opportunities to use data and technology to improve the work that we do
- Empathetic. You care about the wellbeing of LGBTQ youth and respect those around you regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and physical ability
- User Experience. You can put yourself in the shoes of the audience and oversee operations that prioritize their experience
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too
What you’ll do
- Train and test machine learning and natural language processing models (e.g. BERT, GPT-2, etc.) in accordance with internally defined best practices
- Develop solutions and new approaches to a range of other machine learning tasks, including sourcing and labeling training data, evaluating data privacy protection, etc.
- Learn the latest techniques and stay apprised of the latest research in machine learning and natural language processing
- Assist in deploying machine learning solutions and monitoring for system reliability and fairness in accordance with internally defined standards for fairness, accountability, and transparency
- Work closely with the product team to prototype new features
- Work with domain experts to understand our external and internal processes
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!) including summer Friday’s
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, vision and life) including gender affirmation surgery
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people every day
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.