Outlier · Remote (USA)
What We Do
Outlier.org (from the co-founder of MasterClass) is reimagining higher education as a resource that is accessible, equitable, and affordable for everyone. We have developed the world's best online, for-credit university-level courses, taught by some of the most celebrated educators in the world. Our courses employ cinematic content powered by cutting-edge cognitive science to create an immersive, student-friendly learning experience that delivers game-changing student success levels. We are a quickly-growing team working on a dual mission: Increase access to quality college education and dramatically reduce student debt.
Who We Are
Outliers are kind, curious, competent, creative, and resourceful. We are a passionate multidisciplinary team working to increase access to quality education for everyone. We believe in using the scientific method and evidence-based conclusions. We respect intuition and art. We give credit where credit is due. We hold one another to high standards. We value constructive feedback. We love to try new things. We take our work seriously, not ourselves. We work hard and go above-and-beyond to ensure great student outcomes and we strongly believe in taking care of ourselves and making sure we stay healthy to continue to pursue our mission as best we can.
Are you an Outlier?
We are seeking a Product Manager to join our team working to build, maintain and improve our LMS, craft our students’ educational experience with Outlier, and build the internal systems that make our team’s work possible. You’ll create delightful experiences for our users and help us build the future of higher education. This includes scoping and managing features that balance the ideal experience with controlling cost and moderating engineering complexity; assessing our students’ needs and determine how to best meet them; and identifying opportunities to build an exceptional educational experience. This work isn’t limited to one vertical and you’ll have opportunities to lead work across our platform; you may design screens for our mobile app, create interactive lab course sections, or work on yet-undefined features that will expand our educational offerings. You’ll do this all while working closely with a passionate, engaged product team and coordinating with other friendly departments.
This is a remote, full-time role that will report to our Vice President of Product and work closely with our Engineering team.
What You’ll Do
- Think critically about what it means to offer the world’s best educational experience and build thoughtful, useful features that get us closer to this goal
- Own parts of the big picture Outlier product vision while helping manage the team’s more acute day-to-day needs
- Prioritize student feedback, internal team requests, and big-picture opportunities to make sure that you’re always working on the most important thing
- Investigate user needs, define project scope, and outline product requirements for each feature that you’ll work on
- Work closely with designers to craft beautiful UIs and with engineers to ensure functional and timely implementation
- Collaborate with other Outlier teams (like Marketing and Success) to develop our product in ways that support their work
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot, and report bugs to the engineering team before they can impact our students’ experience
- Coordinate with third-party app providers and craft solutions that ensure their products' seamless integration
- Mentor other colleagues and serve as a sounding board and resource for your teammates with regard to Product-related issues
Who You Are
- Experienced in identifying product opportunities and crafting approaches to leverage those opportunities
- Skilled at working effectively with cross-functional teams to implement critical product solutions
- Able to prioritize the highest-impact work and complete projects on time and on schedule
- A sleuth who enjoys digging into user needs and designing creative ways to solve them
- A great communicator (especially when it comes to written communication!)
- Skilled in working with remote teams
- Willing to contribute to and support the larger goals of the company
- Kind and curious
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Pluses: Experienced with instructional design, UDL, game design, mobile app design, designing for accessibility, contract negotiation, and/or FERPA
Benefits include stock options, health, vision, dental; engaging coworkers; and competitive salary.
Please note: Outlier.org hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans, among others—we welcome and encourage all applicants. One of Outlier.org’s goals is for our team and culture to reflect the diverse student populations we serve. We remain committed to recognizing the best talent wherever it may be.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Outlier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, layoff, termination, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, and benefits.