Business Intelligence / Data Analyst
Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank · Duquesne, PA
The Business Intelligence / Data Analyst will provide key stakeholders within the Food Bank with technical and consultative support that will enable those stakeholders to analyze data and perform analysis of our existing programs, initiatives, and opportunities, and to illuminate insight into the best ways for us to achieve our mission of feeding people in need and mobilizing our community to eliminate hunger. They will report to the Director of IT & PMO, but also work closely with executives, such as the Chief Programs Officer, and other stakeholders within the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide analytic and consultative support to a broad spectrum of internal customer areas within the Food Bank, in support of our mission:
- Provide assistance with and/or lead the interpretation of raw data, statistical results or otherwise compiled information, from internal or external sources.
- Gather data from various sources, model the data, develop tools to visualize patterns and trends, and then work with key stakeholders to analyze need, trends, and/or evaluate current programs and initiatives.
- Present analyzed data via tools such as heat-maps, charts, trendline, and geo location-based map visualizations.
- Collaborate with system administrators, business analysts, and data owners and stewards, to build reports and dashboards to drive data-informed decision making in the organization.
- Assist key stakeholders to identify key performance indicators (KPIs) and measurements, and work to put systems in place that can make that information available to the resources that need it.
- Assist stakeholders in arriving at data-driven recommendations such as possible new programs that directly impact individuals struggling with food insecurity.
Assist in driving the vision of a data-driven organization to reality by assisting in various data infrastructure and data governance efforts:
- Work with other resources within IT, and the rest of the organization, to support and improve the organization’s data policies, procedures and data security guidelines.
- Perform requirements analysis for data efforts.
- Standardize data collection by developing methods for database design and validation reports.
- Create and maintain documentation for data analysis efforts including requirements, technical design and user manuals.
Extract data from databases and data warehouses for reporting and to facilitate sharing between multiple data systems.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to readily synthesize complex or diverse information into strategic insights.
- Separates assumptions from hard evidence in gathering data.
- Categorizes information into groups having similar qualities or attributes.
- Adept at comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions and choosing an appropriate course of action or solution.
- Uses analytical ability to determine how efforts are adding or subtracting value.
- Strong data visualization skills using a tool such as Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau or equivalent.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing large datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS etc.).
- Data modelling (logical and physical) and database design skills.
- Data mapping and data transformation skills.
- Ability to develop complex SQL queries.
- Demonstrable experience in data analysis languages such as R, Data Analysis Expression Language (DAX), or equivalent.
- Strong Excel and PowerQuery experience.
- Experience building and maintaining reports.
- Understanding and knowledge of the software development lifecycle (SDLC);
- Ability to design and implement data extraction, cleansing, transformation, loading, and replication/distribution processes.
- Base understanding of big data concepts and technologies (such as data lakes, Hadoop, etc.).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Salesforce experience is a plus.
Planning and Organizing
- Ability to set realistic expectations.
- Paces themselves so they can meet goals or deadlines.
- Establishes priorities decisively for themselves.
- Works positively and effectively in highly confused or ambiguous circumstances.
- Results-orientated and a passion for creativity.
- Is quick to identify and put a stop to wasted effort or effort that does not produce valuable results.
- Skilled at resolving problems by taking action consistent with known facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Demonstrates consistent enthusiasm for achieving results.
- Excellent written, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Able to effectively facilitate discussions and draw out requirements for dashboarding and the identification of key performance indicators and measurements.
- Builds “bridges” with others to maximize cooperation and collaborative work.
- Invites opinion from people who have different experiences or perspectives.
- Conducts self in a manner that mirrors the mission and core values of the Food Bank.
- A bachelor of science or greater in, or related to, Computer/Information Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Economics, Engineering or Operations Research.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency as a Business Intelligence / Data Analyst or equivalent training and experience in a business or non-profit environment with direct responsibility for applying technology.
- 2 to 4 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multifaceted demands.
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to obtain clearance of background investigation (Act 33 and 34).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.