Data Analyst / Data Research Analyst
Enveritas · United States - New York City / Remote OK
Do you want to work for a mission-driven non-profit, analyzing data, and writing software that will contribute to helping millions of coffee farmers out of poverty? Enveritas is a 501(c)3 non-profit and Y Combinator-backed startup looking to hire a Data Analyst with at least two years experience. While our headquarters are in New York City, this role is open to remote candidates based anywhere in the United States. You can learn more about our engineering and data teams at: https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/engineering/
About Our Data Team
Our data team creates models, analysis, and visualizations to better understand our data. We write code to transform raw survey data into insights that match our standards, which you can see at https://enveritas.org/library/standards/ And, we build tools to empower our country teams and improve the quality of our data.
We’re a small, collegial team of engineers and data people looking to add a talented Data Analyst to our team. Our programming languages of choice are Python and SQL (with PostgreSQL on the backend), although some of our analysis is also done in R. We use git for version control, Github for hosting our repositories, and pytest for automated testing.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Make our data accessible to our Operations and Business Development teams. You will structure our data to make it accessible to the rest of the organization through Looker. For this, you will write Python, SQL, and LookML.
- Uncover and share insights in the data. You’ll perform ad-hoc and ongoing analyses to better inform partners, internal operations, and farmer impact work. Then, you’ll translate the most interesting findings presentations, data visualizations, and web apps (we use Dash by Plotly).
- Build tools to improve the efficiency of our country teams. You will identify opportunities for automating or improving our current processes. This might include automating a repetitive task or creating tools that surfaces and visualizes the right information for decision making.
Who You Are
We’re looking for a Data Analyst with 2+ years experience of working on data teams to join our core data team (~5 people) on a full-time basis.
Our work is often ambiguous, so you should have a love for environments with uncertainty. Most of our work is internally-facing, so our product specs are often rough. You should have a deep empathy for users of our tools and understand the importance of supporting the work of other teams.
Our team is distributed. We are a five person team working from Chile, Poland, Colombia, and the United States, typically on Eastern Time. This role is a full-time individual contributor role based in the United States.
We care deeply about diversity and welcome all applicants -- our work is complex and nuanced, so the more diversity we have in the voices working on our problems, the larger of an impact our work can have for the world.
- 2+ years of professional experience using Python and SQL in a data analysis capacity.
- You have collaborated with other team members in a production development environment using git or another version control system.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills; flexible problem-solving attitude.
- Experience using modern SQL-based BI platforms, with strong preference for candidates who have used Looker / LookML.
- An excitement for our mission of improving the lives of smallholder farmers and an interest in sustainability.
About Working With Us
- Our Engineering and Data Teams are a diverse, quirky, and humble group of about a dozen. See https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/engineering/ for more info about each of us.
- Enveritas has teams around the world -- we’re about 65 people spread between a dozen countries, of all backgrounds, faiths, and identities.
- Flexible work hours and generous vacation -- 4 weeks vacation in addition to 12 standard holidays and personal/sick time.
- Annual education budget for conferences, books, and other professional development opportunities.
- Field visits to our Country Ops teams in coffee-growing countries such as Costa Rica, Ethiopia, and Indonesia. Note that due to COVID-19, travel is currently on pause.
- In the USA: Full benefits, including 401k with matching contributions, Medical/Dental/Vision, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and Transportation benefit plan.