Mid Level Full Stack Software Engineer (Remote)
Swiftly · Remote
Human Rights & Equality
EnvironmentPosted 2 weeks ago
Google Cloud Platform
We are a mission-driven startup working to help cities move more efficiently. Be it from a desire to improve public transit, urban mobility, sustainability, or simply from a desire to work on hard problems that impact the real world–we care deeply about our work. Our software generates real-time predictions for transit riders, and our feeds are consumed by 3rd party applications like Google Maps, Transit App, physical signs, and more. We've also built a data analytics platform with intuitive visualizations that help drive smarter decisions for more than 5,500 transit professionals around the globe. Your work will make a difference for transit riders in more than 90 cities and 6 countries–representing over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
About the Role
We are seeking software engineers who are excited by our mission to help cities move more efficiently. You will join one of our product teams which build customer-facing features enabling transit professionals to improve service quality. This could include delivering data through APIs and building visualizations for real-time or historical transit network performance Past experience building web applications and APIs is ideal, and previous experience or interest in working with transportation data is a plus!
About our Stack
The more familiarity you have with our existing technology stack the better, but we do not expect applicants to have familiarity with all the technologies we use. Technologies are always evolving, and accordingly we seek to constantly adapt as it makes sense to do so.
On the front-end, our MV* framework of choice is Vue.js. For displaying data, we use charting libraries such as D3.js and for our mapping needs we use Leaflet.js. For animations, we use a mixture of CSS (including preprocessors such as Sass and Stylus) for lightweight animations or Greensocks’s GSAP if we need to get extra fancy. Cypress is our testing framework of choice, and our CI/CD pipelines are managed with Semappahore CI. On the backend, we expect you would primarily work with our Node.js (TypeScript) services hosted in Amazon AWS, though our real-time data system is written in Java.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the below requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, then we'd love to talk!
- Work closely with designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build products that delight our customers
- Strive to embody software best practices in your work and proliferate them through mentoring and code reviews
- Embrace a mindset of continuous learning – helping both yourself and those around you adapt as technology constantly evolves
- 6+ years of combined experience in software engineering
- Experience with client-side MV* framework(s) (Vue, React, etc.)
- Experience building backend APIs (Node.js, Express, etc.)
- Experience with Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) or other mobile app development is a plus.
- Can give specific feedback on how to design code to be extensible, well-tested, and observable
- Demonstrable experience delivering software projects incrementally
- Experience or desire to work in a cross-functional team environment that values product and design
- Knowledge of SQL and RDBMS such as PostgreSQL. It's a plus if you've used other data storage and processing systems.
- Experience with a major cloud platform – AWS, GCP, Azure, or Heroku – and have built software using cloud services.
You'll be a good fit if:
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do.
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time.
- You love solving problems with data.
- You’ve worked on a team (or want to work on a team) that builds software that can be understood and extended by your teammates.
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow.
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 17 paid holidays - including 4 holidays in months without US national holidays in 2021
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
We are a truly mission-driven culture that is set to change the world of transit
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.