Angaza · San Francisco, CA
Data + Analytics
Partners & Advocates
Poverty Alleviation & Economic DevelopmentPosted 2 weeks ago
Angaza creates software that enables businesses to sell life-changing products to anyone, anywhere. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of transformative products, such as solar lights, smartphones, and cookstoves.
Over 2 billion people across the globe live off-grid or are unbanked. Angaza’s technology empowers distributors to make transformative products like clean cookstoves and water pumps accessible and affordable to these individuals in emerging markets. When a family in Tanzania (or Nicaragua, or Nigeria, or Bangladesh) purchases a life-changing product, Angaza’s complete solution enables them to afford the product with convenient incremental payments. With Angaza’s B2B technology solution, distribution businesses in emerging markets can grow their revenue by over 8x by extending their sales and credit offerings to this consumer base.
Today, businesses in 50+ countries around the world have improved the daily lives of over 13 million people through the Angaza platform while supporting 60,000 jobs and averting 1.5 billion kg in CO2 emission.
Looking for an opportunity to use your knowledge of statistical methods and credit risk analysis to alleviate poverty and empower people to choose safe, clean energy? You will help us use data to facilitate lending and drive success for distributors of life-changing products in emerging markets. You will support the scale-up of the SIMA Angaza Distributor Finance Fund (DFF), which is unlocking capital for small and medium distributors across Africa. You will also be an integral member of Angaza’s Business Intelligence team reporting to the Director of Analytics and providing mentoring and advice to more junior team members. Finally, you will be responsible for surfacing insights into drivers of distributor success and supporting Angaza’s Product team in better serving distributors. Angaza is building out its data science capabilities around a deep commitment to our core values, high-quality tools, proven development practices, and a philosophy of continuous professional development.
We need you to help us make that vision a reality!
- Distributor Finance Fund (DFF): Conduct statistical analyses to drive optimal decision-making across DFF’s risk management lifecycle (sourcing, underwriting, portfolio mgmt)Develop statistical model(s) using end-client transaction data to assess credit risk of PAYG distribution businesses
- Decision Science: Create forecasting tools for customer performance and customer segmentation by correlating leading indicators with their success
- Product: Collaborate with our engineering team to develop new data science product features
- Thought leadership: Set the direction of our data science practice, mentor other data team members, and effectively communicate methodology and findings with internal and external stakeholders
Competencies and Expertise:
- Statistics: Well-versed in advanced statistical methods (regression, confidence intervals, classification, linear algebra, Monte Carlo simulation, etc.), with demonstrated professional experience leading the design and deployment of statistical models
- Programming Skills: Experience deploying data science tools in your preferred programming language. (Our BI and Engineering teams currently operate mostly in Python.)
- Credit risk analysis: Experienced in evaluating credit risk (emerging market consumer lending; small/ medium business lending; or PAYG sector knowledge a plus)
- Resourcefulness: Comfortable working to solve ambiguous problems in new subject areas with a flexible approach
- Cross-functional collaboration: Able to work effectively with others from a range of functions and backgrounds (e.g., customer credit, engineering, and product teams, as well as DFF investors)
- Thrive in a cooperative, dynamic environment
- Are passionate about presenting data that communicates complex information in a straightforward way
- Have strong quantitative, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Pride yourself on attention to detail
- Exemplify Angaza’s key values: maximizing impact, empathetic, courageous, trustworthy, curious, and collaborative
- The strongest candidates will have approximately ten years overall advanced educational and work experience and at least three years experience in one or more of the following categories:
- Demonstrated experience in leading design and deployment of data science models / tools
- Assessing credit risk (consumer and/or small/medium business, direct experience in emerging markets preferred) using statistical methods
- Supporting executive decision-making through descriptive and statistical analysis at an early-stage organization
Location: San Francisco Office Preferred, must have significant time zone overlap with our SF-based team members. Note that Angaza’s customers largely operate in Africa and you may need to be available for phone calls on their schedules.
Interested candidates should apply using the form below.
Angaza is a for-profit company with offices in San Francisco and Nairobi.
Employees receive salary, an equity stake in Angaza, and benefits that include:
- Competitive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, HSA, & FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Fully paid parental leave
- Flexible scheduling and time off policies
- Knowledge that you’re making a positive impact on the world every day you come to work!
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.