Lead UX Product Designer
The Democratic National Committee · New York, NY
Design + UX
Public Service & Civic EngagementPosted 6 days ago
User Experience Design (UX)
In its continuing mission to build infrastructure to help Democrats win campaigns up and down the ballot, the Democratic National Committee's Tech Team is seeking a dynamic Lead UX product designer to help us build world class tools to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country by providing them with access to high quality data and tools they need to win. This role will drive strategy and implementation for UX research and design for a suite of self service analytics tools we are building to support our growing community of data analysts and data scientists in state parties, campaigns, sister committees (like the DCCC), and vendors.
Who we are
We are a fully remote, distributed team living in 19 states and from a variety of backgrounds. Some of us have worked in political campaigns, others in public sector tech, and others in industry. We value diversity in perspective, lived experience, and the many paths one may take into working in political technology. We believe deeply in the promise of breaking the boom-bust cycle of political tech work and building technology infrastructure that will support campaigns from cycle to cycle and will improve with every iteration.
Our data warehouse and analytics platform is our product. We are deeply committed to equipping candidates and campaigns around the country with the resources they need to win, and we are seeking a UX product designer to collaborate with our product team to identify the highest value opportunities to improve users’ end to end experience with democratic data.
Our users range in technical skill and it’s our mission to build tools that help analysts and data scientists uplevel their analytics game by providing features and functions that seamlessly integrate with our data warehouse.
User Experience Design
- Own the user experience design strategy for our data warehouse and analytics platform, and critical web applications that support users across campaigns, sister committees, and state parties;
- Apply insights as we better understand the end users of Democratic data and build the tools that best meet their needs, from novice to experienced data analysts;
- Work with data analysts and product managers to identify our UX pain points;
- Create sketches, wireframes, and interactive prototypes to fuel ideation and validate concepts with our end users;
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, data analysts and data scientists to identify feedback loops in our products and pick the right metrics to measure whether we’re actually solving real problems for our users; and,
- Relentlessly streamline complex processes into simple and elegant experiences.
- Drive research strategy, partnering with product managers to understand and synthesize research outcomes;
- Collaborate with product managers to identify research gaps; participate in research methods to inform design; and,
- Collaborate with product teams to develop and apply experience goals.
What we will look for..
- Have a minimum 5+ years of experience as an UX/Interaction Designer;
- Have a portfolio of UX work samples including interaction maps, sketches and designs;
- Experience designing, conducting user research and integrating findings into product design;
- Value a user/data driven approach design; ability to apply research findings;
- Have a strong understanding of usability and user experience best practices;
- Comfortable with one or more of the following: SQL, data architecture, data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Periscope, Google Data Studio);
- Are able to create interactive experiences using HTML and/or prototyping software.
- Proficiency in a variety of design tools such as Sketch, InVision, Illustrator, Photoshop and associated design tools;
- Have worked with cross-functional teams;
- Able to scope your work to deliver working solutions incrementally;
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences; and,
- Are curious, collaborative, and humble – ready to work with a diverse, distributed team to solve interesting problems together.
What we would be excited to see..
- A portfolio that included at least one data product;
- Electoral campaign experience, and specifically experience with political data, is not required, but is definitely a plus; and,
- Experience with front-end programming.
Applications considered on a rolling basis.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.