The Democratic National Committee · Remote (USA)
Public Service & Civic EngagementPosted 6 days ago
The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring an Analytics Engineer to clean, repackage, build pipelines for, and analyze real-time data to help Democrats win elections and to empower progressives across the country.
Who We Are: We are a fully remote, distributed team living in 19 states and from a variety of backgrounds. Some of us have worked in political campaigns, others in public sector tech, and others in industry. We value diversity in perspective, lived experience, and the many paths one may take into working in political technology. We believe deeply in the promise of breaking the boom-bust cycle of political tech work and building technology infrastructure that will support campaigns from cycle to cycle and will improve with every iteration.
Who You Are: We're focused on equipping Democratic candidates and campaigns around the country with the data and analytics resources they need to win, and are looking for Analytics Engineers with a diverse range of backgrounds and skill sets to help us tackle numerous projects. Whether 2020 was your first time volunteering for a campaign or you've been working with electoral data teams for multiple cycles, we'd love to talk to you.
Good candidates are willing to get nerdy about the details while staying focused on our goal of electing Democrats. On a day-to-day basis, our team cares about things like geocoding polling places, tracking Census Bureau data releases, assessing phone number quality, and promoting inclusive labeling practices, to name a few.
Among other things, in this role you could help us:
- Enhance and expand DNC data products with a focus on making them accessible and intuitive for a wide range of users. Help us continue building upon and improving the data we provide, and build data pipelines to get the right data into the hands of decision makers who are driving Democratic campaigns from the school board to the presidential level. Example: find a better way to group households of voters together, with an eye towards inclusivity and diversity.
- Find and build datasets that will help campaigns leverage data in new ways. Work with our product and community teams to understand the end users of Democratic data and provide the support and resources that best meet their needs. Help us think about how we can make data, analytics, and data science products more impactful and accessible to the campaigns that rely on them. Example: build tables that organize all early and absentee voting activity during the election and update minute-by-minute.
- Find and evaluate new data to improve our offering. Help us identify opportunities to augment our current data store with a focus on helping campaigns efficiently identify and reach target voters, and measure the effects of their programs. Example: find a new way to buy high quality phone numbers for voters and build a pipeline to ingest them.
What makes you right for this role (good candidates might check many of these boxes, but don’t let this list stop you from applying):
- You are proficient in SQL and comfortable reasoning about very large datasets (you may even have opinions on trailing versus leading commas);
- You have experience working with political data like state voter files, election results, or voter contact data;
- You have used SQL to create reusable processes or pipelines (bonus points if you have ETL experience / have worked with tools like Airflow or dbt);
- You have experience tackling new, messy datasets, and structuring them for quick analysis and insights;
- You are comfortable with one or more of the following tools: Python, R, data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Periscope, Google Data Studio), workflow management tools (e.g. dbt, Airflow, Mistral, Prefect) or political CRMs (e.g. Votebuilder, NGP, BSD);
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences; and,
- You can turn independent analysis projects into sustainable, documented workflows, and have experience building systems that can be used across teams and are designed with longevity in mind.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. This position is fully remote.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.