Data & Policy Director
Raheem · Oakland, CA
Who is Raheem
Raheem is the independent service for reporting police in the United States, working to end police terror against Black people. We help people report police and connect to resources for justice and healing, and then use the data and insights from their reports to push for policy and narrative change towards a world without police. We’re best known for two things.
First, we run a website that makes it easy for victims in the U.S. to report police then get resources for justice and healing. The resources include connecting people abused by police to a free lawyer, helping them file a complaint, or uniting them with a local advocacy organization.
Second, the reports to Raheem are producing a national dataset on how police behave, now in more than 200 cities throughout the country. Organizations in our Network use the data to advance narrative and policy changes that shrink the role of the police and replace it with long-term solutions that respond to conflict with care.
The organization is led by Brandon D. Anderson, a Black queer abolitionist who founded Raheem in 2017 after police killed his life partner during a routine traffic stop.
You’d be joining a growing team of Black abolitionist organizers, policy experts, and product makers who believe that building a world without police is not only necessary but doable. We are at an exciting point in our story, ready to throw everything we have at creating and executing ambitious, radical plans to build the infrastructure for a world without police.
You’ll develop data and advance policy towards a world without police.
The Data & Policy Director is a new, senior-level team member who is responsible for maximizing our data collection efforts, as well as evaluating, developing, and advancing new policies that shrink the role of the police. The Data & Policy Director will work closely with the Organizing Director, Communications Director, and Product Director to accomplish three primary goals:
- You will identify and execute on the data needs and methodologies that drive a monumental shift in narrative and policy toward a world without police.
- You will work with the Organizing Director to co-lead multi-state, digital campaigns that shrink the role of the police and build infrastructure for responding to conflict with care.
- You will collect and analyze data, evaluate and write legislation, and work closely with Black communities to build and test an alternative dispatching system to 911.
- Inform the design of new products and services that support a world without police:
- Identify, collect and analyze data using multiple methods to understand context, needs, and issues around situations in which people currently call 911 or police.
- Implement quantitative methods such as statewide or national surveys to reveal demographics and other pertinent data for calls to 911, including the overall outcomes across various types of responders;
- Evaluate the efficacy of current policies and practices for institutions and organizations that respond to acute crises and conflicts with care.
- Conduct quantitative research and policy analysis on existing and emerging legislation and relating to key issues of the police abolition movement
- Work with the Organizing Director and Communications Director to develop strategies for using data generated via Raheem’s reporting chatbot to run multi-state campaigns, assess the impact of policies, and identify needed changes
- Work with the Product Team to safely secure and manage sensitive data
- Create presentations, reports, policy briefs, infographics, graphs, and other materials to visualize data, present findings, and emphasize recommendations
- Monitor trends, changes, and research within the overall landscape of the police abolition movement
- Help the team stay on top of and evaluate these trends, changes and research
- Work collaboratively with Raheem’s leadership team to define strategic priorities, make decisions about unanticipated opportunities, and maintain focus on established goals.
- Proactively develop, present, and implement new practices to support a work culture of growth and leadership development.
- Support an environment of staff engagement by providing consistent and effective feedback, guidance, and opportunities to engage in structured and unstructured professional development.
- Support fundraising efforts including developing content for grant proposals and reports, participating in funder briefings, meetings, and house parties.
- At least 5 years of experience analyzing data and advancing policies on behalf of and with Black communities
- At least 1 year of Director-level organizational leadership experience
- Demonstrated track record of overseeing insightful, accurate, actionable data collection methods
- Prior experience leading research and utilizing data to successfully inform and advance policy, legislative or political campaigns
- Comfort analyzing diverse data and using research findings as the foundation of campaigns.
- Ability to establish credibility and respect with partners, and an understanding of how to build strong, long term, and mutually beneficial relationships
- Significant experience working with people in a way that acknowledges differentials in privilege and power, recognizes their gifts, encourages their confidence, supports their growth, and holds them accountable to standards.
- Impeccable and effective writing, editing, and verbal communication skills. We’ll need you to articulate big ideas clearly and plainly, in a way that inspires and motivates.
- Track record as a collaborative leader who excels in managing multiple projects, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced and non-traditional work environment.
What will lead to success
- Be committed to ending state-sanctioned violence against Black people, Indigenous people and other people of color, trans people, femmes, women, queer people, people with disabilities, people living without houses, and all others who have the right to live and love freely.
- Engage with the problem space, taking the time to listen and learn with curiosity.
Operational and strategic excellence.
- Be able to hit the ground running. We generally look for 4+ years of full-time professional experience or the equivalent.
- Excellent at juggling competing priorities effectively, keeping focus on the highest value activity.
- Ability to communicate effectively and empathetically with a wide variety of audiences including community members, your team, partners, and potential funders.
- Track record of finding creative, scrappy solutions to a wide range of challenges with limited direct oversight and on urgent deadlines.
Solving hard problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with technologists and non-technologists alike.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions so that we’re solving the right problems.
- Contribute to a positive culture that enables us to find joy in the work of fixing painful problems.
Culture and values:
- Raheem is a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day.
- We approach problem-solving using a Black queer feminist lens that recognizes systems of oppression and values difference and individual experience.
- We aspire to be smart, humble, hardworking, and, above all, collaborative.
- We ask each other hard questions, hold each other accountable, and support each other’s growth.
- We use humor and warmth in order to enjoy doing the most difficult, meaningful, and impactful work of our lives.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, we can’t wait to meet you!
Application review begins immediately and interviews are provided on a rolling basis until May 21, 2021. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Due to the volume of applications, only those participating in the interview process will be contacted.
- Annual salary up to $140,000
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Remote work – we're a distributed team that works from anywhere with good internet.