Simons Foundation · New York, NY
The Simons Foundation is looking for a User Experience Designer to fill a full-time position in our web development team. Our team is excited to be undertaking a new large project that will transform the way Simons Foundation supports the math and basic science research. Over time, this role will expand to work on improving the design of other software projects and websites at the Foundation. As part of the team, you will enjoy a fun but hard-working environment and have the opportunity to focus our passion and growth at the Foundation by developing professional and modern software in support of the Foundation’s mission.
- Contribute to all aspects of the design process involving research, experimentation, and revision.
- Elicit constructive feedback and capable of interpreting that feedback into design solutions.
- Perform field research, employ usability inspection methods, and perform usability testing to discover and implement important design details that people may not realize they need.
- Assess the overall UX health of the various sites and create and execute a plan to improve it
- Utilize and customize site analytics to understand current user behavior
- Introduce Agile UX into our Agile development and requirements environment.
- Rapidly prototype emerging features and screens (wireframing, interactive prototypes, etc.).
- Develop a set of UX-oriented style guidelines with which to direct our work.
- Collaborate with others and work well with developers, product management, web producers, etc.
- Stay relevant with the latest techniques, tools, and designs.
Skills and Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Relevant undergraduate degree and 3+ years (or equivalent) of web and user application design experience.
- UI and UX Design expertise with a focus on UX.
- Ability to solve design challenges with creativity, efficiency and precision.
- Experience with all stages of a design process, including a firm grasp of interaction and usability design, and development concerns
- Skilled at designing responsive web sites and applications focused on user experience.
- Must be self-directed, confident and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication, both written and spoken English, with both technical and not-so-technical people. Ability to explain why a design works or why it doesn’t.
- Experience integrating UX design with Agile software development.
- Strong visual design skills: Latest trends, color and typography.
- Strong interaction design skills: wireframing, prototyping (including quick low-fidelity prototypes
- Portfolio or website required with application.
- Previous experience doing design work for news sites/in the journalism industry
- Interest in science
- Experience with Figma
The Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.