Senior Data Engineer
Biobot Analytics · Remote (USA)
Health & Well-Being
EnvironmentPosted 6 days ago
Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company that uses technology developed at MIT to measure human health in sewage to understand population health in cities. We are actively engaged in using wastewater-based epidemiology to help our customers manage the Covid-19 pandemic.
In this role, you will lead our data engineering team to design data pipelines as we launch new products, support the development and maintenance of Biobot’s existing Covid-19 data pipeline, and provide critical senior insight as you work with our software and product team to scale and deploy our infrastructure.
Skills and qualifications
- 7+ years experience as a data engineer or software engineer in a data-focused company. Experience working in a startup environment is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in data modeling and architecture. Proficiency in SQL database technologies, ideally Postgres.
- Demonstrated experience designing data pipelines from scratch, including robust data validations, automations, logging, and tests.
- Expert in Python & pandas and proficiency with object oriented programming and test development.
- Practical understanding of version control and software collaboration best practices.
- Experience leading a technical team or mentoring junior engineers, preferably in a formal capacity.
- Willingness and ability to work in a rapidly changing environment, responding to customer feedback and evolving product priorities and adapting codebases accordingly.
- Experience working with and designing for cloud-based infrastructures, ideally AWS (S3, EC2, Redshift, lambda and step functions, etc). Proficiency designing and implementing ELT/ETL mechanisms, SQL, stored procedures, resilient data pipelines to ingest structured and semi-structured datasets using files, API, streams, etc.
- Ability to lead data governance and data profiling efforts to ensure data quality and proper metadata documentation for data lineage.
- Knowledge of cutting-edge data engineering tools and technologies, and an ability to evaluate trade-offs between approaches to suit our startup needs.
- Experience working with biological or other scientific data is a plus. Curiosity about the science behind Biobot’s data is important for the role.
Roles and responsibilities
- Design and build a robust data infrastructure that unlocks Biobot’s ability to leverage data at all levels of the organization.
- Working with our data science and lab teams, design frameworks for building data analysis pipelines across a variety of product offerings and data types. Lead database and codebase design decisions for existing and new data pipelines.
- Working closely with our product and engineering team, integrate Biobot’s data into our customer-facing software platform and internal and external APIs.
- Establish ETL processes to ingest external datasets that our data science and visualization teams can use to add context to Biobot’s wastewater data.
- Implement best practices for version control, code review, testing, and collaboration in a remote working environment.
- Manage two junior data engineers and provide leadership across product, data, and engineering teams.
- Provide strategic insights to company leadership as we expand Biobot’s "data as a product" model.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories. Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure human health in sewage (based on what is excreted in urine and stool) to understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and last year launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope of the outbreak in communities.
Inspired by the potential of wastewater epidemiology, we are the first company in the world to bring wastewater epidemiology to market. We are VC backed by top investors including The Engine, DCVC, Y Combinator and Homebrew. We were recently recognized as the third most innovative biotech company by FastCo, after Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 outbreak is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot will be an early warning system for disease, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
At Biobot, we believe that the best technologists can improve society and we strive to build a workplace in which everyone can thrive. Our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from women; non-binary, trans, and gender-non conforming individuals; Black and indigenous individuals, and people from other minoritized racial and ethnic groups; and other groups traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.