Data Engineer (multiple roles + levels)
Civitech · Austin, TX/ Remote
Civitech is a public benefit corporation dedicated to creating a fairer and more equitable democracy by building the tools and infrastructure needed to increase civic participation, empower Democratic candidates to win, and support the success of progressive causes. Since its founding in 2019, over 100 partners -- a range of nonprofit organizations, national political committees, and individual campaigns -- have utilized Civitech’s tools to reach tens of millions of voters to help create a more equitable and progressive democracy.
The Data Engineer will build data processing infrastructure that supports our analytic and operational needs. Through this job you'll make CampaignOS a performant, reliable, and secure platform for candidates, campaign staff, and volunteers.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What You Will Do:
- Design, implement, and maintain various election-related data sets
- Develop data pipelines
- Define and monitor metrics for our data sets
- Diagnose and resolve deficiencies in data quality and systems performance
- Perform exploratory analysis and provide ad-hoc reports
- Collaborate with partner organizations on APIs, tools, and data sets
- Track, evaluate, and contribute to technology advances across academic, open source, and commercial forums
- Participate in political events that promote, train, and/or directly use our systems
- Contribute to related tasks across the company, including technical architecture, product design, client support, marketing, and cross-training
- Relevant advanced degree, certification, or 4+ years relevant work experience
- Experience with ETL tools (especially Airflow and DBT)
- Basic skills in database administration (PostgreSQL preferred, but Oracle or MySQL okay)
- Experience with cloud computing environments (Google Cloud preferred, but AWS or Azure okay)
- Comfortable with the pace and fluidity of work at a startup company
- Passionate about applying your technical expertise to help get Democrats elected up and down the ballot
Additional areas of expertise (desired but not required):
- Practical experience with tools for intrusion detection, user activity monitoring, and data loss prevention
- Solid understanding of attribute-based access control (ABAC), virtual private database, row-level security, and related enforcement approaches
- Familiar with best practices for data privacy (for example, anonymization, masking, tokenization, etc)
Performance Engineer or Database Administrator
- Advanced skills in database programming (every aspect of SQL, plus PL/pgSQL or PL/SQL or T-SQL)
- Practical experience with database tuning and performance optimization
- Practical experience with a variety of application data workloads (OLTP, OLAP, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of scaling and high-availability techniques for data architectures
Other desired but not required skills
- Experience with data visualization, dashboard, and/or reporting tools (Tableau, Jasper, or others)
- Familiar with a variety of middleware approaches and tools (ORM, MQ, GraphQL, REST, webhook, etc)
- Knowledge of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) methods
- Knowledge of U.S. elections administration and/or campaign operations
Full-time, competitive salary ($105,000-$140,000 for Austin-based hires), commensurate with experience and location. Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance; four weeks paid vacation time per year; 10 days paid sick time; and a competitive company stock option plan.
Civitech is headquartered in Austin, TX. The Data Engineer can work in Austin or remotely in any US location.
Civitech is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Civitech provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.