American Medical Association · Newport Beach, CA
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
As an employer, we are dedicated to many efforts, including employee learning and development, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion and wellness.
Our well-defined culture has strongly impacted the prosperity of our organization. Our foundational values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Agility, Equity, and Trust are at the core of our efforts and continue to shape the success of the AMA.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Newport Beach, CA for a Software Engineer on our Strategy team. The Software Engineer will develop software supporting the AMA’s healthcare interoperability initiatives, working with cross-functional teams to help solve real-world problems for healthcare providers around the country. As well as design and develop the software and platform services for building the next generation IHMI services infrastructure that facilitates interoperability with the larger healthcare ecosystem. The Software Engineer will also participate in design and development activities that involve system architecture and design with a combination of cloud and on-premise platforms.
Collaborate across IHMI to identify technical solutions to our stakeholders’ needs
- Build proof-of-concepts and/or prototypes when appropriate
- Collaborate with product team to solve business problems
- Work cross-functionally with the product, sales, support teams to ensure the success for our customers
Design and develop software supporting interoperability in healthcare
- Design, develop, test, maintain, and enhance our software applications and platform
- Design and develop code that consistently adheres to good programming practices
- Participate in architecture, code and security reviews
May include other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical degree
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- Prior experience building platforms for healthcare and/or HIPAA a plus
- Knowledge of the software development process and technologies
- Knowledge of architectural styles and design patterns
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Strong software development experience in Java, relational databases, and web development
- Ability to contribute to a team developing software: complete assigned work within deadlines, reprioritize work as required; collaborate with team (including remote members) and management to solve problems
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across functions
Additional Technical Background
- Knowledge of REST, JSON, MVC, SOA, and API platform development
- Knowledge of web development and technologies, Angular preferred
- Experience with development using AWS a plus
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. This position is located at the AMA’s Newport Beach office.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.