VP of Product
FreeWill · Remote (US)
VP of Product
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $2.5 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
Since our start, we’ve grown from 5 people to 90 (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
About the role
We are looking for a visionary product leader who is able to lead FreeWill in building products that fundamentally change the way that nonprofit fundraising teams are able to unlock transformational gifts.
The VP of Product will lead recruiting and hiring, onboarding, performance management, team development and org design for the product and design teams. This person will partner closely with our VP of Engineering and Director of Design in order to advance our product offerings and be a member of our executive team, contributing to company-wide decisions and leadership. The VP will help us scale the company from 100 to 300 people and beyond over the next two years.
The VP will be customer-centric in their approach to building products, and will inspire the entire FreeWill team to be similarly customer-centric and focused on deep listening in their approach to the market. This person loves thinking about the business and social impact of their product strategy, is unafraid about making hard trade-off decisions, and should thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity. This person should be an inspirational manager who has pattern recognition around what product resources and org design will make the biggest impact on FreeWill. This person will be supported by a team that’s excellent at execution, low-ego, and makes sound business and product decisions come to life. This person will be smart, tenacious, and kind.
- Build and manage a strategic, high-performing product team
- Refine FreeWill systems and processes that can (1) help FreeWill achieve its business and impact goals, and (2) scale during periods of fast growth
- Build a series of successful products that achieve product-market fit
- Hire and develop strong and diverse talent on the product team
- Advocate for the right resources at the right times to achieve goals
- Develop processes and best practices for product, design, and engineering departments to work well together
- Coach product team towards best product management practices and create a structure in which PMs feel an ownership mentality over their product areas
- Help founders articulate and perpetuate product vision throughout organization
- Set product strategy in order to achieve product vision
- Own product roadmap, including balancing short-term nimbleness with long-term predictability
- Ensure strong cross-team communication and feedback loops with the sales and partner success teams; integrate insights from these teams into product decisions and prepare these teams for product and feature rollouts
- Act with and lead others to act with FreeWill’s values of focus, joy, kindness, and courage
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience leading product teams
- 10+ years of experience in product management, including at a B2B SaaS company
- Proven success in recruiting high performing, diverse talent at high velocity and building an effective and inclusive team culture
- Expert at product management best practices including: feature work, growth work, scaling work, and PMF expansion
- Strong problem solving skills. Makes data-driven decisions, and is open-minded towards different perspectives
- Strong communication, emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills – up, down, across, and externally
- Acts with integrity, professionalism, low ego, and high self-awareness
- Enjoys collaboration, listening, and learning
- Comfort moving quickly in a fast-paced environment and making decisions with imperfect information
- Impact and results-focused
In addition to helping raise $1 trillion for high impact nonprofits and a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- $120 monthly stipend to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- Unlimited PTO
- Staff holidays and FreeDays (periodic one day office closures to rest and refresh)
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Book policy: We’ll cover any reasonably priced books that will make you better at your job (i.e how to excel in sales) or improve the FreeWill community (i.e. books on anti-racism).
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.