Senior Data Engineer
Thrive Global · New York, NY
Data + Analytics
Health & Well-BeingPosted 6 days ago
Google Cloud Platform
Thrive Global is developing a state-of-the-art measurement and behavior change tool to impact individual and organizational well-being and productivity. The marriage of data and analytics, our best-in-class content and science-backed behavior change IP will help people go from knowing what to do to actually doing it, enabling millions of consumers to begin the Thrive behavior change journey. We’re building a dynamic tech team with a passion for our mission and top-notch skills to help us make this a reality.
Timely and trustworthy data is essential to the present and future direction of Thrive. As a company whose products have aspects of both B2B SaaS and consumer apps, Thrive is building a data platform capable of complex event processing on diverse data sources. Our ability to continuously improve and leverage that data platform is fundamental to the success of the company. Thrive is in the first stages of establishing our data engineering practice—which is why we need you.
As a Data Engineer at Thrive, you will be a foundational architect and developer of a cloud data processing platform for a high-growth startup. That platform must handle a variety of sources, including but not limited to streams from clicks, taps, and sensors. Similarly, a mixture of data consumers are on the output side of the data platform. In addition to the executive suite and business analysts, you will be developing the system underlying Thrive’s data science efforts which, ultimately, feed back into the product for our end users. This challenge will exercise the entire range of your skillset as an engineer—which includes not only programming, but also the ability to gather requirements from stakeholders across the business to create a data engineering roadmap.
What you'll do:
- Assess current processes and designs, and drive the adoption of best practices for data processing, modeling, and lake/warehouse development
- Architect and build a scalable data processing platform that supports batch, streaming, & ETL workloads
- Work with our Data Science team to lay the foundation for AI & ML model building, release, and management
- Build core internal tooling for the data engineering team and be an evangelist for quality software engineering, with a focus on testability, reliability, and maintainability
- Perform all of the above in compliance with Thrive’s privacy and security constraints, including SOC 2, HIPAA, and GDPR
- A self-starter who enjoys taking initiative
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, and has high energy to get work done
- Someone with a passion for changing the way people work and live with demonstrated interest in topics like well-being, productivity, neuroscience, behavioral sciences, and performance
- 3+ years of experience building distributed systems in a Data Engineering role; experience within a high-growth start-up environment is preferred
- Hands-on experience building data processing platforms in a cloud environment (AWS, Azure, or GCP), as well as the pipelines built on top of them
- Experience with modern business intelligence and product reporting tools (e.g. Looker)
- Experience with creating high-quality, fast services and workflows in Python—both homegrown and on top of frameworks such as Airflow
- Fluency in Scala or Java with deep knowledge of established data frameworks and tech (e.g. Spark, Parquet, Druid)
What we offer:
- Being part of a mission-driven company that’s truly making a difference in the lives of people around the world
- Ability to develop within the company and shape our growth strategy
- A human-centric culture with a range of wellness perks and benefits
- A competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental and vision coverage + 401k program with company match
- Generous paid time-off programs
Thrive Global’s mission is to end the stress and burnout epidemic by offering companies and individuals sustainable, science-based solutions to enhance well-being, performance, and purpose, and create a healthier relationship with technology. Recent science has shown that the pervasive belief that burnout is the price we must pay for success is a delusion. We know, instead, that when we prioritize our well-being, our decision-making, creativity, and productivity improve dramatically. Thrive Global is committed to accelerating the culture shift that allows people to reclaim their lives and move from merely surviving to thriving.