Coding Instructor, Tech Training Programs
New York Public Library · New York, NY
The New York Public Library is looking for talented coding instructors, trainers or industry professionals to join our team and help New Yorkers achieve their app development dreams. This position is for someone interested in community development through education. You will be supporting adult learners of diverse careers, educational backgrounds, and cultures as they embark on their app development journey. The NYPL offers technology classes in more than 80 libraries across the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island. Topics include MS Office, Internet basics, coding languages, graphic design, 3D printing, audio production, video production, podcasting and more.
This position is a temporary 1-year position with the possibility of extension.
As a Coding Instructor, you will
- Conduct app development courses and workshops using Swift for approximately 15 students per class both online and in-person
- Provide consistent engagement with students, answering their questions, providing feedback on assignments, and coaching them through our curriculum.
- Document and maintain detailed records of student’s attendance and performance for the duration of the course.
- Keep students motivated to complete their learning journey
- Travel throughout Manhattan, Staten Island, and the Bronx to deliver training, as needed
- Perform ad-hoc project related duties as required
- Evenings and some weekends required
Required Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of relevant Swift app development work experience.
- Working knowledge of software development principles and object-oriented programming
- Prior experience teaching/instructing/training adults for related technology products and services
- The ability to instruct in a “hands-off” manner, letting users learn by doing
- Ability to teach in both traditional classroom and virtual classroom settings
- Extensive knowledge of Mac and Swift software
- Strong aptitude for learning new and emerging technologies quickly
- Demonstrated ability to use and provide assistance for:
- Apple’s Swift Programming Language
- jQuery, Bootstrap
- Prior coding bootcamp teaching experience a plus
- Knowledge of:
- Python and/or Ruby
- Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline
- Adobe Premiere or equivalent
- Ableton and/or Pro Tools
- VR/AR software and/or Unity
- CAD software
- Knowledge of New York metropolitan area
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Office setting
- Public library setting
- Limited physical effort is required
- Light lifting required
- May require travel within NYC