Senior DevOps Engineer
New York Public Library · New York, NY
NYPL’s Infrastructure and Operations team architects, implements, and supports technology to support all business efforts. The Platform Engineering team works closely with Product Managers and business partners to deliver technically-sound, repeatable, and highly-automated systems.
The DevOps Engineer will be responsible for the daily operations of the DevOps function including planning, implementation, and aligning with the organization’s fiscal and technical needs. These functions include the tactical engineering, upkeep, and modernization of systems and processes related to Cloud Infrastructure (AWS) and on-premise infrastructure that supports NYPL’s Digital footprint (websites, apps, eReader) and Preservation efforts (Digital Repository).
- Collaborate with NYPL IT teams and business units to deliver high quality technology platforms, determine needs/requirements, and ensure project success.
- Hands-on, expert level, administration and management of diverse technical infrastructure including Linux servers, databases, storage systems, and containers.
- Deep knowledge and working experience with core infrastructure technologies including DNS, DHCP, Version Control, Configuration Management, Continuous Integration, infrastructure as code tools.
- Architect and plan AWS and on-premise technology systems to meet NYPL needs.
- Work closely with Product Management teams to ensure optimal use of available resources to meet business demands.
- Ensure security and documentation of managed systems.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring of NYPL systems, sound backup practices are in place, and applicable systems are highly-available.
- Evaluate emerging technologies and existing technology to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Other related duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field or strong combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience implementing large scale compute platforms and support infrastructures with 3 years of cloud experience.
- Proven ability to collaborate with highly technical teams consisting of application developers, database and network engineers, as well as non-technical business units.
- Deep experience working in a product oriented environment with Product Owners, Project Managers, and diverse project methodologies. Ability to size and estimate time of required tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to architect, deploy, and support highly-available enterprise grade technical solutions
- Broad and in-depth experience with enterprise web enabling technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, routing, switching, databases, and related services.
- Highly Available Public/Private Cloud and on-premise Compute Systems (AWS, Azure) including extensive experience with:
- Highly Available Application Services
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of configuration management tools such as Puppet/Ansible.
- CI/CD platforms such as TravisCI/Bamboo/Jenkins
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Office setting
- Public library setting
- Limited physical effort is required
- Light lifting required
- Requires travel within NYC
Flexible, 7 hours total between the hours of 8am and 6pm
On-call, after-hours, and weekends as necessary