Unemployment Insurance Technologist-in-Residence, Product Manager
U.S. Digital Response · US - Remote
Unemployment Insurance programs in America are struggling. States across the country are working overtime to handle the still unprecedented demand on unemployment insurance (UI) systems. 18 months after the pandemic began, many people still remain out of work or waiting on benefits that never arrived. Despite the best efforts of civil servants across government, data inconsistencies, suspected fraud, wage verification issues and business process decisions all contribute to the slowdown.
USDR is seeking a Product Manager to work with multiple partner states to understand and resolve various issues and provide broader strategy support. The American Rescue Plan has dedicated $2 Billion to help states improve their technology. U.S. Digital Response has an opportunity to help governments make critical technical decisions and implement modern tools to deliver benefits quickly to those in need.
To this end, we are launching an Economic Stability program to help state and local governments implement new programs and initiatives from the American Rescue Plan and other benefits programs. With a focused team in place, we aim to:
- Deliver end-to-end technical and user experience improvements to solve problems now (vs. waiting for lengthy system integrations or complete rebuilds)
- Serve as a go-to technical implementation advisor or partner for governments
- Continue to provide a rapid response and support hotline to solve immediate needs for local and state governments
We’ve already supported partners on a number of projects related to ARP and benefits, and believe a dedicated Economic Stability Team will help us scale our work even further.
- Housing: Processed 1,100+ claims to help Memphis residents access $1M+ in Emergency Rental Assistance.
- Unemployment Insurance (UI): Partnered with 10 jurisdictions to modernize UI systems.
- Food Security: Powered the delivery of 40,000+ food boxes to people without easy access to fresh produce in 5+ cities, through our Storefront tool.
- Benefits Access: Enabled LA County to launch a first-of-its-kind website to serve 3M+ immigrants, helping them locate critical services like COVID-19 vaccinations, health care, food assistance, housing support, legal representation, and small business services.
About the role
USDR is accepting applications through Tuesday, June 29th at 11:59 pm PT.
As the Unemployment Insurance Product Manager for the Economic Stability Program, you’ll work closely with cross-functional team members to develop products and lead product strategy by prioritizing, designing, and implementing solutions for USDR’s partners. You’ll work with multiple levels of government and non-governmental organizations, interfacing with executive-level agency stakeholders, individual engineers, and support personnel, and everyone in between.
You will gain deep insight into the real challenges facing these agencies, and understand how technologists can help—not as “tech saviors,” but as partners.
You might be a good fit for this role if you’re a senior product manager, cross-functional product leader, or delivery manager with mentorship or team leadership experience.
This is a full-time, paid one-year position with benefits.
In this position you will:
- Serve as a co-owner of the program. This is a good role for a creative, product-minded, user-focused product manager who is comfortable creating direction, not just taking direction.
- Working with our in-flight project teams, design, implement, launch, and scale software solutions that help state and local governments deliver services effectively and equitably. Sometimes our partner projects entail working with technologies that are behind the cutting edge; a willingness to be flexible and meet governments where they are is essential.
- Direct cross-functional teams from USDR’s volunteer ecosystem to assist with the implementation of projects. This is a hybrid hands-on technical and leadership role: in addition to leading the technical implementation of projects, you’ll have the USDR community’s resources at your disposal to manage. USDR’s volunteers skew senior and can often commit 10-20 hours per week to the work, but they shine most with support and guidance from a leader who can set context for them, help them understand how their work fits into the big picture, and clear blockers out of the way.
- Alongside the other Economic Stability Program Leads and volunteers, represent USDR on calls with our government and nonprofit partners.
- Share learnings, best practices, and solutions broadly by writing playbooks or publishing other useful content.
- Tell the story of this program to the rest of USDR, to governments, to the media, and to our funders.
- Represent USDR and the values of our Volunteer Oath in your work.
Qualified candidates will have:
- 6+ years of experience in product management or development, working collaboratively with engineering, design, and user research teams
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects and multi-task with excellent organization skills and strict attention to detail.
- Awareness of privacy, security, and compliance practices, ideally with prior experience working in regulated industries. Experience in government is not required but one should have a strong interest in learning from and collaborating with government/NGO partners.
- Strong communication skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders, including complex external partners (such as regulatory bodies, government entities, large enterprise customers)
- Experience in building diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships, and someone who is comfortable thinking outside the box and finding amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Strong interest in supporting equitable, effective access to public services using modern technology, design, and research practices
- Experience with public benefit programs, as a recipient or technologist.
- Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, June 29th, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. USDR will conduct an application and resume review, followed by a series of interviews with various members of USDR.
What you’ll get:
- The Technologist-in-Residence role is a one-year appointment at U.S. Digital Response. The position is expected to begin in July 2021. There is no guarantee of continued employment beyond the one-year appointment.
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits in the Bay Area where USDR is headquartered. The annual salary range for this role is $120,000-$160,000, depending on experience.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits.
- A budget for team-level learning and development
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves. This means that we are committed to a fully remote work environment (for US-based employees) along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage and welcome all interested potential applicants, regardless of background or prior experience volunteering with U.S. Digital Response, to apply.