VP, Business Development and Sales
Higg · Remote
Higg is a technology company on a mission to help consumer goods industries change the way things are made today, for a better world tomorrow.
With the leading sustainability insights platform, Higg helps brands, retailers and their suppliers all over the world measure, manage and share trusted data that supports the decisions we all need business to make; for their and all of our futures. From materials to products, from facilities to stores, across energy, waste, water, and working conditions, Higg unlocks a complete view of a business’s social and environmental impact.
Higg is seeing the hard work of its customers and team rewarded every day as the number of brands, retailers and manufacturers assessing and addressing their impact grows and as year-on-year performance data shows real reductions in carbon emissions and other key metrics.
The Higg team is composed of sustainability professionals, software engineers, business leaders, marketers, designers, artists, number crunchers, and more than a handful of farmers. This group of excellent professionals are motivated by the opportunity to help customers improve every aspect of the trillion-dollar industries that touch all of our lives.
Higg is the exclusive licensee of the Higg Index, a suite of tools for the standardized measurement of supply chain sustainability used by the footwear, apparel, textile and other industries.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Higg is seeking a sales leader with a deep desire for developing the customer base to join its team as a VP of Business Development and Sales. In this role, you’ll work cross-functionally to lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive sales program to drive revenue growth and identify new opportunities. You will be responsible for helping Higg move from an organic to a targeted sales program where you and your teams will help sell packaged and custom solutions to existing and new accounts. Reporting to the COO and working closely with the Executive Team, you’ll keep the broader team informed of all sales plans, metrics, and provide insight on how to improve Higg’s efforts.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, capable of developing a sales strategy, while simultaneously leading cross functional teams to deliver on revenue targets through persistence and creativity.
Experience developing SaaS sales strategies for a wide variety of products and users is important. Teams will be looking to you for guidance on channel strategy, conversion tactics, and more. This role will have a high level of ownership and visibility across the organization.
- Lead planning and execution of the company sales for existing and new product lines
- Identify channels and drivers to achieve short term revenue targets
- In partnership with VP of Client of Service identify new business opportunities based on future product plans with larger accounts and identify and develop referral sources to develop successful engagement with smaller accounts.
- Nurture existing partnerships and identify new promotional partnerships that could lead to significant impact and revenue growth in current or new verticals
- Provide market information such as current trends, sales techniques, application of products or services in various scenarios, etc.
- Manage the sales process and develop relationships with current and potential clients
- Maintain good working relationships with existing clients to identify new sales opportunities and create referrals and references
- Develop new business opportunities with existing clients by promoting existing company products and services
- Secure major new business through retailers, pilot programs and partnerships
- Work closely with customer success to ensure successful onboarding transition for new and existing clients.
- Achieve department’s revenue targets as determined by the business and executive team
- Work with COO, VP of Partnerships, and VP of Client Services to bring potential partnership revenue opportunities to fruition
- Become thoroughly familiar with key components and qualifications for meaningful opportunities; take an active role in scaling and refining components based on business needs
- Manage business development and sales staff and be involved in training, professionalizing, and growing the department
- Engage with VP of Client Services and customer success team on implementing sales best practices within account management
- Develop and communicate goals and targets for business development and sales staff, and be involved in driving and mentoring staff to achieve delegated goals
- Oversee the information of key clients and negotiation of contracts
- Develop consistent evaluation process for inbound opportunities; lead evaluation and decision to pursue or not pursue all inbound opportunities
- A Bachelor's degree, as a minimum requirement
- Prior experience in a team within a remote work environment required, and at least 5 years’ experience managing direct reports
- Proven track record of driving sales at a start-up organization, ideally 10+ years
- Experience in a technology/SaaS organization working in a B2B environment
- Committed to sustainability as evidenced by your professional or life experience
- The ideal candidate will have experience selling into sustainability departments
- Enthusiastic about fast-paced environments and comfortable navigating ambiguity in his or her role, can be scrappy when the need arises and is a committed team player
- Someone of mental grit and innate empathy: When the going gets tough, you bring a sense of levity and perspective to the table. You’re an empathetic human who values the same in others.
LOCATION AND BENEFITS
Location is flexible, though ideally will allow for high degrees of collaboration with the Executive Team and major customers. If in North America, the preferred working location is in close proximity to a hub international airport. If in Europe / Asia, the preferred working location is within a city in close proximity to an international airport with non-stop flights to major North American and European destinations, i.e. SFO, JFK, LHR.
Higg employees enjoy benefits including a generous vacation policy, flexible working locations, health (medical, dental, vision) and flexible spending benefits, and a retirement matching plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Because Higg is on a mission to change how things are made, for the planet and each of us on it, it’s essential to reflect the diversity of those it strives to serve within its team. Higg is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally and experientially diverse team that leads and works with empathy and respect.
Higg has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. In order to apply, please submit a current resume and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience.
Please refrain from contacting Higg directly. All inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at [email protected] Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.