Principal Scientist, Product
Aetion · New York, NY/Remote
About the job
**This job is open to candidates located in New York City, Boston or Remote candidates**
Welcome to Aetion! Since our debut in 2013, we have grown into one of the country’s leading science-driven technology companies using real-world data generating real-world evidence to provide innovative healthcare solutions.
We achieve this with our Aetion Evidence Platform, a software platform used to evaluate the safety, effectiveness and value of medications, delivering better outcomes to patients, medical professionals and clients. We’ve partnered with top biopharma companies and are backed by leading venture capital firms to help increase our medical research and expand our product line.
To continue our mission to transform healthcare, we’re assembling a team of talented individuals who know how to work collaboratively and authentically, to innovate and think transformation, not status quo.
If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you.
As a science-driven healthcare analytics company with a rapidly growing customer base, Aetion is looking for experienced statisticians and biostatisticians to strengthen our Product Science team.
As the Principal / Senior Principal Product Scientist you will be in an active individual contributor role. As a successful candidate you will help Aetion design, test, and deliver new analytic platform features in collaboration with Science, Product and Engineering.
As the Principal / Senior Principal Product Scientist you will apply your knowledge of epidemiology, health services research, biostatistics, and/or related fields to support product design and application definition within Aetion. In this role you will work at the intersection of science and engineering, striving to ensure a seamless integration between the two competence areas within the Company.
This position will report to the Product Scientist Team Lead, Scientific Research.
- Design analytic product features in collaboration with the Product Management and Engineering teams. Contribute to the development of product requirements through collection and synthesis of use cases and input from customers and internal scientists.
- Make meaningful contributions to scientific discussion of prioritization of analytic features and best practices for analytic design.
- Research relevant statistical and epidemiologic methods. Develop detailed technical specifications and R code for new analytic features. Communicate with engineering during the development and testing process.
- Propose improved ways to summarize and display data in tabular and graphical form
- Drive the scientific verification of the Aetion platform. Develop test cases and code to validate new features.
- Develop a deep understanding of the methodological capabilities of the Aetion Evidence Platform, serve as an expert technical resource to the Science Delivery organization, and work cross-collaboratively to identify priorities for feature enhancements.
- Conduct statistical analyses to support the Science Research and Science Delivery team’s deliverables and research agenda.
- Contribute to methods-related publications.
- Support external thought-leadership including submission of conference abstracts, co-authorship of manuscripts, participation in other media including newsletters, workshops and webinars, etc., and involvement with professional societies
- Maintain knowledge base in pharmacoepidemiology, HEOR, and/or biostatistical methods as applied to observational studies.
- Support and promote educational activities and knowledge sharing, including development of best practice documents.
- Higher levels of seniority will also include additional responsibilities in leadership (e.g. supervise/mentor/delegate to junior colleagues), process development, team mentoring and recruiting
- PhD in biostatistics, statistics, or data science with a demonstrated focus on quantitative methods.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience. Level commensurate with experience
- Knowledge base in the principled application of observational research methods to yield real-world evidence (RWE) for decision-making, designing epidemiologic studies and performing advanced statistical analyses relevant to pharmacoepidemiologic, HEOR, and/or expert quantitative areas pertinent to healthcare
- Expertise conducting analytics with secondary data sources using R or another programming language (e.g. SAS, Stata, AEP)
- Experience working with secondary data sources (e.g., claims, registries)
- Proficient in R statistical programming language
- Experience in cross-functional teams and decision making
- Ability to self-motivate
- Resilient, collaborative, flexible, and innovative
- Experience in Python programming
- Training / experience in methods for causal inference
- Hands-on experience with machine learning
- Hands-on experience simulating data
- Lead at all levels – Aetion is a diverse workforce of scientific thought leaders and technological innovators coming together with a vision to dramatically improve the Healthcare industry. Aetion supports and maintains a presence in organizations such as ISPOR, ISPE, ASHP, and HIMSS.
- Located in three cities — We have offices located in Midtown Manhattan near Penn Station, Boston's financial district, and Los Angeles. All locations are accessible by various forms of public transportation.
- Social and energetic offices – with a modern layout, and a giant kitchen and eating/social area. We have an open floor plan with an abundance of conference rooms, designed for impromptu collaboration, company gatherings, and industry meetups and events.
- Great perks – We offer competitive salaries, top-of-the-line benefits, company ownership stock options, 401(k) match and unlimited PTO
- Awards – Aetion is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards:
- Aetion was listed among Top 10 employers on Fast Company’s 100 Best Workplaces for Innovators list
- CB Insights Digital Health 150 showcases Aetion’s work advancing global RWE among some of the most promising private digital health companies in the world
- Databricks Data Team Award recognizes Aetion’s platform analyzing COVID-19 data.
- Parity.org’s 2020 Best Companies for Women to Advance highlights Aetion’s efforts and commitment to close the gender gap in leadership!
Aetion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Aetion is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.