Sr. Software Engineer
Aira · San Diego, CA/Remote
Aira is a technology rich startup company with a nobel mission, passionate customers and challenging technical problems. You will have a major impact on our success as a member of our dedicated team.
Aira connects people in real time via real-time streaming to accomplish tasks on demand, 24/7 and worldwide. Our target consumers today are blind or have low vision persons we partner with remote, trained, professional agents dedicated to further enhancing everyday experiences. At Aira, you have the opportunity to work with a disruptive technology, meaningfully contribute to company growth and positively impact the lives of others.
With exciting business breakthroughs including our recent nationwide launch at all Starbucks locations (https://www.cnet.com/news/starbucks-now-offers-access-to-app-for-blind-low-vision-customers/ ), rollout at over 50 airports and transportation systems, addition of over 20 Universities, Bank of America, Target and now launching in the UK, Aira is expanding! We need to grow our core product team.
As a Sr. Distributed Systems Software Engineer, you’ll be primarily working on our Java Spring multi-tier service that is ever evolving and making use of AWS. Our Spring based service surfaces REST APIs to all of our client applications, with features stemming from call routing, matching, WebRTC video conferencing, third party integrations, billing and account management. You'll be expected to take ownership of the code base and work directly with the product and customer experience team to enhance the technology that will put Aira in front of as many consumers businesses across the world as possible.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and maintain the Java Spring platform, from code to deployment
- Work closely with stakeholders to identify pain points and suggest improvements
- Have a strong opinion on architecture, features, test cases, and application performance monitoring
- Participate in our agile software development process, working closely with our UI designers and other members of the engineering team
You are a technical leader with a passion for team success. You have talent and enthusiasm for creating usable, scalable, well-tested software. You want to work in a highly collaborative, agile environment. You love learning new technologies, languages, tools, and frameworks and thinking carefully about which ones will be of real benefit in your projects. Hard problems, refactoring code, and tracking down issues in complex, distributed systems is in your wheelhouse.
Critical skills and experience
- Exceptional core CS concepts (distributed programming, concurrency, algorithms)
- You have strong experience with designing highly distributed systems with 8-10 + years’ experience
- You have a passion for code correctness (continuously improving testability and code quality)
- Thrive in a fast paced, high energy and fun work environment that is agile and deliver value incrementally and frequently.
- You have 8-10+ years’ experience with Java (Kotlin is a plus)
- A Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Math, or related field-Required
- Core SQL skills and knowledge of transaction management
- Enjoy contributing to new designs and brainstorming for optimal solutions.
- Remote location, slack, zoom, github, google drive for the foreseeable future
Opportunities to learn and develop
- Experience with Public Cloud (AWS, GCP, Asure) including serverless computing (Lambda, Firebase, etc.), containerized environments (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.), as well as microservice architectures
- RESTful APIs, AMQP/MQTT protocol, WebRTC
- Experience and interest in a variety of database types: SQL/NoSQL/Graph etc.
- Experience and interest in NLP, AI including computer vision and forecasting
- Data Engineering and Analytics
- Opportunity to make an impact on a mission-driven business
- Low drama, hands on culture, not impeded by process, oversight or lack of courage
- A fun, dedicated, and hard-working team who are the magic behind our award-winning company
- Competitive salary with significant equity options
- Top-tier medical plan, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Full-remote position
Learn more about working at Aira by checking out one of our employee spotlight videos: