Senior Analytics Engineer
Year Up · Boston, MA
About the job
The Senior Analytics Engineer sits in Year Up’s Business Intelligence team, working toward the goal of strategizing, designing, and implementing complex data-driven decision-making at Year Up. Sitting in IT, the Senior Analytics Engineer collaborates with and influences analysts and business users across the organization to produce analytical material that enables a more rigorous and empirical understanding of our operations and outcomes.
Business Intelligence sits at the intersection of business and technology, and this role is grounded in both. As a technical position, the day-to-day work will primarily consist of writing code and working with software. However, the work will serve the big picture needs of the business, and the analyst must become fluent in Year Up’s operations and quantitative management systems while effectively serving as an internal consultant who can demonstrate measurable enterprise business impact and results.
This is an ideal role for a deeply analytical individual who is a self-starter, a quick learner, and who enjoys structuring and solving ambiguous problems. Business Intelligence must be responsive to succeed, and the incumbent must shift quickly and frequently to respond to the needs of an organization with high growth and rapidly evolving priorities. As a result, this will be a challenging position. However, this will also make it a high-growth opportunity with the potential to significantly shape the organization’s approach to data-driven decision-making.
In keeping with Year Up’s values, the Senior Analytics Engineer will also have the opportunity to interact with students as coach, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students, faculty, and site leaders.
This individual’s core responsibilities will be to partner and solution across the enterprise to strategize, design, and produce sophisticated analytical insight that will drive data-driven decision-making across multiple levels of leadership, including senior leadership. This will primarily be executed using database software, with a strong emphasis on SQL and data warehousing. Projects the Senior Analytics Engineer will work on include:
- Extractions and feeds from other systems or services
- Data modeling, processing and warehousing
- Advanced analytics
- Visualization and reporting (alone or in collaboration with Analytics Engineer)
- Reviewing code and supporting the development of other Year Up Analytics Engineers
- Training, support and consulting in a leadership capacity (business-facing engagements)
Further Responsibilities Will Include
- Data Engineering
- Data Modeling
- Data Analysis
- Business Analysis
- Process automation
- Ad hoc research and analysis
- Data quality investigations
- Maintenance and technical support for existing business intelligence tools and systems
Additionally, There May Be a Long-term Opportunity For
- Project Management
- Data Governance and Master Data Management (MDM)
- Bachelor’s degree OR demonstrated capability to perform job responsibilities through a combination of a High School Diploma/ GED and six (6) previous years of experience
- Minimum of 5 - 7 years of experience in Business Intelligence
- Strong SQL proficiency
- Python proficiency
- Demonstrated experience building reliable and resilient data pipelines
- Experience with data visualization, whether using software such as Tableau, Power BI, Looker, etc., or a graphical programming language like D3.js
- Experience with git and knowledge of CICD best practices
- Experience working on an agile team
- A proven record of creative problem solving: Experience framing, investigating and resolving ambiguous problems will be particularly valuable
- Adaptability and learning agility: The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in an environment with rapidly shifting priorities, and will be capable of contributing proactively in new and unfamiliar contexts
- A passion for working with young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
Candidates with one or more of the following will be particularly competitive:
- Professional experience working in a related field, especially in IT or Education
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Netsuite, Workday
- Experience with any of the following: dbt, Snowflake, Fivetran, Tableau, AWS
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Airflow or Prefect
- Knowledge of statistics/machine learning and experience delivering this functionality in a production environment
- Data engineering experience
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with relevant experience and skills.
- Benefits: Comprehensive healthcare options and dental coverage; 401(k) match for eligible participants.
- Vacation: Earn three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year.
- Professional Development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives ($2,500 per year)
Year Up is a national 501(c)3 wo rkforce development organization committed to ensuring equitable access to economic opportunity, education, and justice for all young adults—no matter their background, income, or zip code. Employers face a growing need for talent while millions of talented young adults lack access to meaningful careers. These inequities only further perpetuate the opportunity gap that exists in our country—a gap that Year Up is determined and positioned to close through three interconnected strategies: providing targeted skills training and connections to livable-wage employment for students and alumni; empowering others to serve and support young adults; and changing systems that perpetuate the opportunity gap. Year Up’s intensive training program utilizes a high expectations, high support model where students learn in-demand technical and professional skills and apply them during a corporate internship. Year Up has served more than 30,000 young adults since its founding in 2000. Year Up has a presence in 27 U.S. cities, including Arizona, Baltimore, Bay Area, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Greater Atlanta, Greater Boston, Greater Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City/Jersey City, Pittsburgh, Puget Sound, Rhode Island, South Florida, Tampa Bay, and Wilmington.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.
Commitment To Diversity
Year Up actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to our young adults as we work to close the Opportunity Divide. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive and supportive work environment. Learn more about our commitment to diversity: http://www.yearup.org/about-us/careers/commitment-to-diversity/
As an equal opportunity employer, Year Up is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.