Lead Analytics Engineer
Year Up · Boston, MA
About the job
Year Up seeks a Lead Analytics Engineer with a proven track record of creating data excellence and ideating with stakeholders to create, track and improve critical KPIs and KRIs of our organization. This role requires someone passionate about maturing data engineering capabilities, building consensus, and advocating for data driven decision making to find solutions that solve complex business and social challenges through data.
Reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence, the Lead Analytics Engineer will be responsible for building and maintaining a suite of data drive decision support products widely used across multiple levels of the organization. This includes ingesting, modeling, and visualizing data in Year Up's data stack to support various business lines. Their core responsibility will be to create solutions and partnerships across the enterprise to understand complex business processes, produce conformed dimensional models, and deliver insights through a variety of mediums including dashboards and reports. This will be executed using Year Up’s data stack with tools and technologies such as Fivetran, AWS, Snowflake, data build tool (dbt), Tableau, SQL and Python.
In keeping with Year Up’s values, the Lead Analytics Engineer will also have the opportunity to interact with students as coach, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students, faculty, and site leaders.
- Establishment of pipelines and extractions to increase pool of available analytical data
- Deliver analytical products (such as dashboards, reports, utilities and automations) - leveraging Data modeling, processing and warehousing
- Collaborate with the Director of BI, Digital Experience team, Enterprise Architecture/Application and Security team to develop a shared agile and collaboration process and operations across IT to lead the digital transformation of our organization
- Create advanced analytics to support and drive data driven decision making within the organization
- Work with stakeholders to understand business processes, problems, and opportunities
- Gather requirements from nontechnical stakeholders and build ELT jobs based on jointly defined requirements
- Write thorough tests and preform code reviews to promote data integrity and high-quality code across a variety of products built by the business intelligence team
- Support bug fixing and performance analysis along the data pipeline
- Be a strong advocate for a culture of process and data quality, data driven decision making across functional teams
- Provide consultative support to other teams working on data projects by reviewing code and supporting/advocating best practices
- Provide maintenance and technical support for existing business intelligence tools and systems
- Follow an agile development methodology
- Serve as coach for more junior team members
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated capability to perform job responsibilities through a combination of a High School Diploma/ GED and eight (8) previous years of experience OR Bachelor’s degree
- 6-8 years of relevant experience in a data role working with data warehouses and business intelligence tools
- Demonstrated experience building reliable and resilient data pipelines
- Experience with git and git-based workflows
- Proficiency in SQL and Python
- Experience with data visualization, whether using software such as Tableau, Power BI, Looker, etc., or a graphical programming language like D3.js
- Experience with any combination of the following: Snowflake, Fivetran, AWS, and dbt
- A proven record of creative problem solving; experience framing, investigating and resolving ambiguous problems will be particularly valuable
- Comfortable operating in an environment with rapidly shifting priorities, capable of contributing proactively in new and unfamiliar contexts
- Must be comfortable presenting to groups & expressing ideas in public settings with high visibility
- A passion for working with young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
Candidates with one or more of the following will be particularly competitive:
- Familiarity with Salesforce, NetSuite, Workday
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Airflow or Prefect
- Knowledge of statistics/machine learning and experience delivering this functionality in a production environment
- Data Engineering experience
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with relevant experience and skills.
- Benefits: Comprehensive healthcare options and dental coverage; 401(k) match for eligible participants.
- Vacation: Earn three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year.
- Professional Development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives ($2,500 per year)
Year Up is a national 501(c)3 wo rkforce development organization committed to ensuring equitable access to economic opportunity, education, and justice for all young adults—no matter their background, income, or zip code. Employers face a growing need for talent while millions of talented young adults lack access to meaningful careers. These inequities only further perpetuate the opportunity gap that exists in our country—a gap that Year Up is determined and positioned to close through three interconnected strategies: providing targeted skills training and connections to livable-wage employment for students and alumni; empowering others to serve and support young adults; and changing systems that perpetuate the opportunity gap. Year Up’s intensive training program utilizes a high expectations, high support model where students learn in-demand technical and professional skills and apply them during a corporate internship. Year Up has served more than 30,000 young adults since its founding in 2000. Year Up has a presence in 27 U.S. cities, including Arizona, Baltimore, Bay Area, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Greater Atlanta, Greater Boston, Greater Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City/Jersey City, Pittsburgh, Puget Sound, Rhode Island, South Florida, Tampa Bay, and Wilmington.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.
Commitment To Diversity
Year Up actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to our young adults as we work to close the Opportunity Divide. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive and supportive work environment. Learn more about our commitment to diversity: http://www.yearup.org/about-us/careers/commitment-to-diversity/
As an equal opportunity employer, Year Up is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.