OCLC · Dublin, OH
You have a life. We like that about you.
At OCLC, we believe you'll do the best work of your life when you're living the best life possible.
We work hard to build the technology that connects thousands of today's libraries. But we also work hard to make a job at OCLC a meaningful part of a balanced life- not a substitute for one.
The Job Details are as follows:
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The OCLC Data Services organization is looking for a Data Scientist. This team and role will be the center of excellence for machine learning and model development throughout the organization. The right candidate should comfortable and even enthusiastic about working in a greenfield environment. We haven’t figured everything out yet, that’s why we need you!
What you will do:
- Mine and analyze data from our multi-petabyte ecosystem of data to drive optimization and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years demonstrated experience in big data, statistics, model development working with statistical packages and machine learning tools (R, Pandas, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Software development experience in Python, Java, Scala, Golang, or similar
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience applying those techniques to build new product features
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams