Product Manager, Delivery Services
OCLC · Dublin, OH
You have a life. We like that about you.
At OCLC, we believe you'll do the best work of your life when you're living the best life possible.
We work hard to build the technology that connects thousands of today's libraries. But we also work hard to make a job at OCLC a meaningful part of a balanced life- not a substitute for one.
The Job Details are as follows:
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The Product Manager will be on the Delivery Services team and responsible for supporting WorldCat.org. This role is responsible for all aspects of product planning and development. This role also provides critical input to the product marketing team in product release and promotional efforts. The Product Manager is responsible for the following deliverables:
Produces product strategy, roadmaps, annual product plans, business cases, and monthly product reviews, launch plans, white papers, product presentations, market messaging, event support, competitive write-up and user personas.
Contributes to the production of: Portfolio business plans, strategies, roadmaps, metrics, and operational plans; portfolio progress plans and reviews; user requirements and functional specs
Product Strategy and Planning
- Oversees market analysis and develops product strategy and business case. Defines strategic product goals.
- Produces product roadmap
- Collaborates on release plans with Development
- Collaborates with finance in the production of product budgets and forecasts
- Develops pricing strategies and product positioning plans which contribute to maximizing product profitability
Leadership and Management
- Provides leadership to cross-functional product workgroups. Leads Product management meetings. Resolves conflicts and drives consensus.
- Facilitates collaboration and communication and secures commitment between Development and Product Management and other divisional workgroups towards achievement of common goals.
- Develops and monitors progress on product roadmap
Product Marketing Oversight and Consultation
- Assists in the development of strategies for customer acquisition and retention; manages relationships with user groups and assists sales team in generation of marketing and awareness plans.
- Understands how and when to commission market research in order to develop and maintain expertise in markets served, alternative services, new technology, and related standards.
- Can generate appropriate information for market sizes by sector / territory and can generate market penetration statistics.
- Provides training and support to the sales and support team; may assist in significant sales calls.
- Analyzes reasons for OCLC product wins and losses against competition and can provide meaningful information to aid product planning.
- Will work to define and rationalize user personas
- Will produce market/sector white papers
Consultation on Portfolio Planning
- Provides input into portfolio business plans, roadmaps, strategies, metrics, and progress reports and reviews
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 2 to 4 years experience in library services, library management systems, or related field
- 2 to 4 years experience in product, project or program management
- 2 to 4 years experience in supporting online/database services, preferably in the library field
- Well-developed communication and presentation skills
- Strong understanding of the Product Management Lifecycle model
- Demonstrated ability with financial planning and financial forecasting
Desired but not Required
- Experience in managing staff or team leadership
- Experience leading cross-functional workgroups
- Knowledge of OCLC products and services