Moneythink · Oakland, CA
Moneythink's new college affordability comparison tool, DecidED, is positioned to tackle the inter-related college affordability and debt challenge at the scale and urgency at which it exists. DecidED helps students make confident, real time, holistic enrollment decisions using the most essential information — and all aligned with their individual goals and financial circumstances. In turn, students are able to equip themselves by building long-term financial wellness habits.
Since 2008, Moneythink’s youth-focused financial capability work has served more than 32,000 high school students across the country. Along the way, we’ve received humbling recognition, such as receiving Capital One’s 2020 Give Back Nonprofit of the Year Award, Goldman Sachs’ Impact Challenge Fan Favorite Award, The MassChallenge Winner, White House Champion of Change Award under President Obama, and many others. We’ve also been lucky to collaborate with leading design and behavioral science firms who have greatly shaped our work, such as Ideo.org, Ideas42, PwC, and Fast Forward.
If you want to help create a clearer path to college graduation, successful careers without the burden of debt, and the opportunity to help shape a more inclusive, equitable economy for all then this is the team for you!
About the role:
To enhance our user and partner experience, we are looking for a passionate and engaged Product Designer with strong UX/Graphic design skills who will help grow our DecidED product's capabilities and impact in the upcoming years
- Develop an understanding for our organization, recent programs, current product objectives and market context
- Conduct student and partner user research to inform and provide feedback on current design direction
- Work with our team to refine existing brand principles and collateral
- Create product visual design guidelines and develop asset libraries for reusable, systematic design
- Design flows and experiences that are user-centered, easy to use, and work within the DecidED design guidelines.
- Contribute to high-level strategic planning with the rest of the product and executive teams
- Work with the product team on prioritizing new feature development as well as defining user experience and visual design for prioritized features.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, researchers and content strategists to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch.
- Present new designs, user flows, and feature concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce high-fidelity mockups that can be used as demos and as handoffs to engineering.
Our ideal candidate approaches their work with a human-centered design lens and is passionate about the opportunity to partner with Moneythink in clarifying college finances for millions of students and families across the country.
Competitive applicants will also have:
- A passion for developing new approaches to an existing problem, as well as a deep understanding of current approaches across the competitive landscape
- Strong visual design skills and previous design system-building work
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Proficient in creating wireframes, UX design tools and prototyping (we currently use Figma)
- Knowledge of UI standards for responsive web, including React and Google Material Design libraries
- Ability to facilitate design decision-making with cross-functional stakeholders
- Strong communication skills around your work, process, and decisions
- Experience conducting user research and integrating qualitative and quantitative findings into design work and iterations
- Balance working on multiple projects at once, applying yourself to a variety of contexts in parallel
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Unlimited PTO and flexible sick leave
- Employer-paid social justice volunteerism
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Retirement savings matching
- Access to commuter benefit and Health FSA accounts
- The opportunity to collaborate with a fun, motivated team doing game-changing work!
Location: The entire Moneythink team is working remotely for the foreseeable future. That said, we plan on re-opening an office in the San Francisco Bay Area when timing and Covid precautions permit. (For context, our previous two Bay Area offices have been in downtown San Francisco and Oakland.) We are open to remote candidates with the ability to travel, but preference will be given for candidates currently in or willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Start Date: Flexible, ideally late July to early August
Moneythink values an inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Moneythink is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.