Data Engineer III
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance · Seattle, WA 98109
The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), located in Seattle, Washington, is part of a dynamic collaboration among three organizations known nationally and internationally for their patient care and research: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, and Seattle Children's. Over the past 25 years, these institutions have worked together to support their mission of adult and pediatric oncology patient care services, research and education.
The Data Warehouse Team within SCCA Information Technology is responsible for designing, developing and supporting SCCA data systems and integration for both operational and analytical purposes.
Under the guidance of the Data Warehouse Manager, the Data Engineer III is responsible for developing features, functionality, and infrastructure for the Enterprise Data Warehouse in the Microsoft stack of SQL tools. This includes leading design and implementation strategies for new data acquisition, data distribution, and workflow orchestration as the data warehouse expands its offerings into AWS. The role will also be responsible for transferring and integrating data into the data warehouse from source systems as well as partner data warehouses and repositories. In collaboration with team members, the Data Engineer III will analyze and profile data to design, implement, and test procedures, packages, and processes to meet business needs.
Data are acquired and distributed in a number of different ways and will require a willingness to learn and troubleshoot multiple systems, old and new. The Data Engineer III will work with team members, end users, and other stakeholders to provide solutions with minimal operational disruption and high data integrity. As a member of an agile team, the Data Engineer III will participate in daily and weekly meetings to coordinate efforts.
- Actively identify, build and maintain infrastructure improvements on MS stack and (eventually) AWS
- Partner with SDET to target areas of the warehouse and associated processes where testing infrastructure improvements are needed
- Work with analyst partners to understand their information needs and business requirements
- Communicate and resolve issues and questions during development, testing, and release of new code
- Foster a collaborative environment both on the Data Warehouse team and with IT and Business partners in which all team members are engaged and feel ownership in decisions and activities
- Mentor team members
- Work on multiple projects in parallel
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 7+ years of demonstrated data warehousing & business intelligence experience
- Minimum 7 years development experience using T-SQL
- 1+ years technical leadership experience
- Ability to manage business expectations and deliver customer-focused solutions
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and an ability to multi-task
- Strong understanding of database design
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to new and changing technologies
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Programming skills in PowerShell, Python and .Net development
- Strong understanding of Visual Studio Solutions and Projects
- Experience using AWS for data processing
- SQL Server indexing and performance tuning
- Understanding of HIPAA regulations
- Familiarity with diverse kinds of healthcare and/or clinical data
- Experience with Cerner and/or Epic healthcare systems
- Familiarly with the Systems/Software Development Life Cycle
- Experience with Agile software development