Senior Data Engineer
AeroFarms · Newark, NJ
As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven company with global headquarters in Newark, NJ, championing indoor vertical farming and fundamentally transforming agriculture. Recognized by Fast Company as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies and by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards and we need someone special who can bring their experience as a Data Software Engineer to help us grow further. Must be aligned with our mission and passionate about making a difference.
- An incredible ‘change-the-world’ company with the eyes of the world focused on our success.
- A team of motivated, intellectually curious individuals to support you.
- Backed by some seriously impressive firms including Goldman Sachs, Prudential, leading VCs, and strategic partners with a view on global expansion.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced Sr. Data Engineer with strong technical, problem-solving, and design skills. The ideal candidate will thrive in a work environment that requires strong data analysis/design skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication. You will work with multiple stakeholders and data custodians throughout the organization. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage in a positive, cutting-edge, and creative work environment that offers excellent benefits and rewards.
Work Location and return to work policy
At AeroFarms the safety and wellbeing of our employees is a top priority. We are very lucky that over 70% of our workforce is fully vaccinated so far, with more getting the COVID-19 vaccine every day. We are currently operating under a mostly remote work model however there is a requirement to attend in person meetings at our Farm/office a few days per week and to test our systems as we build them. Our long term return to work plan is going to be a hybrid in-person and remote model with 3 days per week in the office starting from some time in August.
- Managing data ingestion services, end-to-end data pipelines and data lake infrastructure.
- Architect and maintain data structures within the data lake
- Recommending ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Managing and developing ETL pipelines.
- Setup data sources for analytical purposes.
- Wear multiple hats to help IT in multiple functions when needed.
- Conducting performance testing and monitoring of production systems.
- Implementing and managing solutions that are scalable with overall business goals.
- Partner with other departments to design and deploy critical systems on our infrastructure.
- Challenge yourself and your peers to always improve.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, math, or engineering required
- 6+ years of Data Engineering
- Preferred knowledge/experience with Apache Spark and Apache Airflow
- Experience building and working with Data Lake and Data Lakehouse architectures
- Experience writing production code (Preferred: Python)
- Experience with multiple types of databases (Preferred: PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Experience managing and navigating cloud infrastructure (Preferred: AWS)
- Experience with Data Bricks a plus.
- Experience with computer vision and machine learning/AI a plus.